6.27.2006

limbless aquatic vertebrate

Let's give a warm welcome to the newest member of the Bahr household:






I got a betta fish for fish week of storytimes (which is this week), so I've actually only had the fish about 24 hours. It's really pretty: mostly blue/green with red stripes in the fins and tail. We're doing really well thus far, despite the numerous preschoolers wanting hold the bowl or touch the fish this morning... Henry wasn't too thrilled when I showed her the bowl, but then, it's about as big as she is, and foreign, so I can understand why she shied away.

Will this mean we're venturing into more fish? I don't know. The bowl I bought is also a plant stand--you stick the whole contraption into a pot--so it's small. Perhaps, if I can find more of these, we'd have room for bettas all over the house!

Or maybe we won't. [shrug]

I haven't named him or her yet (how can you tell on a single fish?), so if you have suggestions, I'll gladly take them!

picture taken from www.betta-town.com


Book recommendation: Where's Waldo? The Great Picture Hunt (BRAND new!)
Recipe recommendation: Mexican Strawberry Torte
Movie recommendation: The Castle in the Sky (anime)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about Hina (means goddess of fish in Hawaiian according to babynames.com).

Or Frederick the Fish.

librariane said...

Oooo! I like that! Then it's also generic boy or girl fish...

gianna said...

That's a cool name. (I mean Frederick the Fish) What about Pollo? Spanish for Chicken. Or Vice, only spell it Weis. Weis means know in German. Or Coda which means well you know that the Coda in music is used to start back at that point..

librariane said...

Well, over the weekend, Chip suggested Hubert...

Anonymous said...

I just heard of a prof that everyone called Hobie. His real name was Hobart. I like that :)