9.05.2006

bazaar and Chelydridae


This past weekend, several of us partook in one of the largest county fairs in the midwest: the Walworth County Fair. This was the 157th year, and it was a lot of fun.

We started with cream puffs and eclairs (mmmm.....fair food......) to make sure we didn't miss out on those tasty treats. Then we wandered through a few animal barns to see all the cute rabbits, noisy roosters and smelly pigs. I made sure to stop by the sheep and goat barns to visit, as I knew several teens showing animals. We all got a little more to eat, and then we saw all the projects--baking, sewing, knitting, quilting, photography, etc. We were again ready for a little more food, so we hit some of the 'real food' stands (e.g. rib sandwich for me). By this time we were a little tired, so we headed over to the horses, and watched a few rounds of judging, getting to sit in the arena to watch. Then we went into the Clydesdale barn, and were in luck to see a four abreast cart being harnessed and even watched the driver practice pulling in a nearby ring!


I've missed being able to go to the state fair, though this is a great substitute. There are a lot of great projects and animals, and a lot of good food as well, and I see people I know at this fair, which makes it a bit cozy.




Chip found a couple of baby snapping turtles in our front yard, and when he investigated more, he found their nest. There was still one egg left, but we're not sure if it will hatch. Earlier this summer, Chip rescued a snapping turtle from our window well, so we know they like to hang out around us. And with the construction happening behind us, it's not really surprising they're exploring a bit more.



picture taken from www.wooodtoys-uk.com

Book recommendation: Twilight by Stephanie Meyer
Music recommendation: Winter's Crossing with James Galway and Phil Coulter
Recipe recommendation: Amaretto Peach Crisp (Chip made this for Bible study)

10 comments:

gianna said...

JIllayne and I went to the MN State Fair. Our tradition! It was great! Soon, I will have more details on my blog, but I inadvertantly got mentioned on the radio!

Anonymous said...

We will have to shoot for the state fair next year!

Oh- and I just cooked enough food yesterday for 2 weeks :) I finally used the cookbook!

Anonymous said...

I had sauerkraut balls at the IN state fair...they were yummy...

As were the cordogs, and my personal state fair staple, Pineapple Dole Whip!

gianna said...

State Fair food this year included: Luigi Fries (breadsticks with moz melted on them with Prego for dipping!)--$4.00 (Half a star)
Oven Baked Hamburger--$5.00
(3 1/2 stars)
Fudge Puppy (belgian waffle on a stick dipped in chocolate, covered in whipped cream and sprinkles)-$2.00 (Jillayne 5 Stars, Gianna 3 Stars)
Deep Fried Chocolate Chip cookies--$2.00 (2 Stars)
Dairy Building Malt--Apple Carmel--$4.00 (4 stars)
Tatertot Hotdish on a stick--$5.00 (Negative 10 stars--YUCK!)
Uff Da Treat--$5.00 (Gianna 5 Stars, JIllayne 3 Stars)
And finally the MN State Fair staple Sweet Martha's Cookies and milk--$6.00 (5 Stars--a given!)--My mouth is watering just thinking about them!
Making memories with JIllayne--priceless! (100 stars!_

librariane said...

Oh my word, you don't need any cake for your birthday after all those SUPERB fair foods!

I was sad not to have the curly fries I used to always get at the Rock County Fair. And I regret the rib sandwich instead of a hamburger--those always taste better at the fair. Oh well.

gianna said...

Did you know that my name means Jane? It's Italian for Jane which means God is Gracious and is the feminine version of John (I believe!)

Anonymous said...

Those turtles are much smaller than I had imagined. Is Chip really holding them in that picture? I can barely see them! Might be the monitor I'm at though...

The hopeless gardener said...

I can't believe you bothered to save snappers. There are enough of them in the world.

BTW - You didn't eat a cow pie!? its a fair staple!!!!

librariane said...

Okay, next time we have baby snapping turtles, I'll call you down to kill 'em. ;) And they were really, really small (hence Chip felt okay holding them).

As for not having a cow pie, it's because I had an eclair and we only went once. Poor excuse, I know, but I'm out of fair-mode these days and have to work back into it.

Anonymous said...

Gianna, did you further know (or care) that my favourite name is Jane? Another 'what it means' version is 'gracious gift of God'. Our Simon has 'John' as a middle name because I liked it, but needed to use the boy version (of course) for him! (and he is 'john' to me!)

So, great name!