Not to be rescued, mind you, but to escape a pending marriage. While she lives with Kazul, several events happen that set things up for future books (there are four total), including some shady dealings with wizards, lessons from a good witch and several persistent princes (who have been promised the usual: her hand in marriage). Everything works out well due to Cimorene's atypical behavior as a princess, which goes to show that you should be yourself, no matter what is expected.
One of the reasons Cimorene is able to plead her case to stay with the dragons is she makes a great cherries jubilee, and the dragon who agrees to keep her needs someone who can make dessert for dinner parties. Because it's a relatively easy recipe, I decided to make some ice cream, too.
Oh, and I should mention, our flaming cherries didn't flame very much, which was a bit disappointing...





Check out all the books folks have done in the past!
Book recommendation: Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede
Recipe recommendation: Cherries Jubilee
Wine recommendation: Ménage à Trois
12 comments:
looks really good! what is cherries jubilee?
I love it! First of all, I like the princess' name and then I like the idea of having a dragon as a roommate, for a change: I am sure it makes life interesting. Thank you for participating.
This is great! Thanks so much for taking part again. I love the fact that the dragon needs someone to make desserts for dinner parties. And yum, cherries jubilee AND ice cream. Delicious.
Go read the recipe link, Gianna! :)
They really are a fun quartet of books. The other thing Cimorene makes really well is chocolate mousse, which I debated doing... but I really wanted to get out the ice cream maker and do something fruity.
That looks like a nice dessert! (though I would have voted for the mousse!)
The ice cream is killer. 7 yolks and cream and whole milk!
Plus we were being healthy for dinner--grilled chicken salads with blackberries and strawberries, so we thought the trend needed to continue. ;)
ohhh you've made me wish I liked cherries!
The book sounds good - I'll look out for it to add to the pile of unread novels by my bed!
Kathy, I know what you mean about piles of novels... mine grew about 2 feet yesterday after a library workshop!
Ha! I love stories that play with the conventions of the fairy tale genre. A dragon who needs desserts for dinner parties... does he ignite the Cherries Jubilee himself?
Adele--good question! I actually don't remember, but suspect not, as the dragon's fire is pretty powerful... :D
Just wanted to tell you that I got the book, read it and totally enjoyed it. It's full of nice characters and I love all the unconventional ways of the princess. The writing is also delightful. Thanks!
Yea! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I just love reader's advisory, especially when people like the book I suggest.
Post a Comment