I've been helping with Faith Chapel's youth group for a few years now, and it's often a great blessing. It's so nice to be with kids who take church and God seriously, and want to learn more. My partner in crime is Christopher Fait, who has excellent rapport with the teens, and graciously shares his basement with the group (our current meeting place).
Most recently, we've been studying Romans, but we've covered all kinds of different topics and looked at several books of the Bible, from world religions to spiritual disciplines to real-life scenarios at school and home. The tricky parts have been to balance being interesting, yet stay informative, and fitting ourselves into their busy schedules. We also would love to have a place of our own, but that hasn't worked out yet. I'm hesitant to meet at the church for a couple of reasons: 1. the teens who are coming that don't go to Faith Chapel and 2. many of the teens express their liking the 'homey-ness' of meeting at someone's house.
The general format of the evening is an opening game or hi/lo of the week, and then we have our introductory material. Once that's established we'll dive into the lesson, sometimes using video clips and sometimes breaking off into smaller groups to do some exegetical study. We'll wrap up with prayer and announcements.
There's not a whole lot at the church website yet, but we're still working on it.
Logo designed by Jonathan Hainstock
Book recommendation: Artemis Fowl: the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer
Recipe recommendation: Sugared Pecans (great for parties!)
YouTube recommendation: Martian clip
5 comments:
Well, our group has sadly faced a tragedy this week. Monday night/Tuesday morning one of our teens killed herself. Tuesday afternoon was a general talk session for everyone and then Tuesday night was a talk session for just church kids and teens. It was a great way to start the healing process, and many of those who are saved see the power of God and have hope for the future. I'm not sure why this happened--you can't *ever* make sense of suicide--but I do believe God is in control.
:(
Oh, wow! How sad. What can you say to your teens in situations like that except, "I love you and I'm here for you." I'm so sorry Ruhama. How are you doing?
Up and down. Friday was very sad, and today is pretty sad. Her memorial is this coming Sunday. Tonight is our first regular meeting with the teens since it happened. We'll see how everyone is doing.
Kiya's memorial service was last night (11.19) and it was mostly a time to celebrate who she was and share good memories of her.
I miss her.
Hey Your Blog looks good,, Keep it up!!! Yeah I I miss Kiya allot,, I wish things could have been differnt,, But you are a great help to the High schoolers Keep up your encouragement!!!!
Love Karrmin
Post a Comment