And, no, I'm not doing a recipe that features duck... sheesh.
This is a Caldecott medal picture book about a couple of ducks who are trying to find a place to build their nest in Boston. The park they really like is too busy for hatchlings, but once the babies are a little older, it would be ideal (plenty of peanuts, too). So the ducks find a secluded spot a little farther away, and befriend a nearby policeman, who ends up helping Mrs. Duck get her ducklings over to the park, giving us the title of the book.
Named for Temperance Hall in Washington, D.C., this is a flexible recipe that's perfect for experimenting, if you're so inclined.
Spice mix:
½ c kosher salt
3 T sugar
1½ t ground cinnamon
1½ t ground cumin
1½ T ground cayenne pepper
(or any spices you wish--I used Chinese 5 Spice and Paprika)
Combine salt and sugar in a medium bowl and set aside. Combine the remaining three ingredients in a small skillet and, while stirring, toast over low heat 2 to 3 minutes, or until fragrant. Pour toasted spices into sugar/salt mixture and mix well. Let stand 1 hour to let flavors meld and store in an air-tight container until ready to use.
Peanuts:
1 T peanut oil
1 pound unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts
Combine salt and sugar in a medium bowl and set aside. Combine the remaining three ingredients in a small skillet and, while stirring, toast over low heat 2 to 3 minutes, or until fragrant. Pour toasted spices into sugar/salt mixture and mix well. Let stand 1 hour to let flavors meld and store in an air-tight container until ready to use.
Peanuts:
1 T peanut oil
1 pound unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts
(or any nuts you like)
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over low heat 2 to 3 minutes. Add peanuts and stir to coat evenly. Remove from heat and toss peanuts with 2 T of the spice mix. When the peanuts are cooled completely, store in an air-tight container until ready to use.
Tasty warm or room temperature! If you need to heat them up a bit, pop the peanuts in the microwave for 10 to 15 seconds.
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over low heat 2 to 3 minutes. Add peanuts and stir to coat evenly. Remove from heat and toss peanuts with 2 T of the spice mix. When the peanuts are cooled completely, store in an air-tight container until ready to use.
Tasty warm or room temperature! If you need to heat them up a bit, pop the peanuts in the microwave for 10 to 15 seconds.
Try to find whole peanuts to avoid processed taste!
Book recommendation: Make Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey
Recipe recommendation: Prohibition Peanuts
YouTube recommendation: Boxhead & Roundhead
Recipe recommendation: Prohibition Peanuts
YouTube recommendation: Boxhead & Roundhead
9 comments:
What a sweet story! And an interesting recipe to accompany it. I am creating in my mind the image of the policeman helping the family move to the park. Thank you so much for participating.
I am very intrigued by your participation in these events. When I see you in person, I would love to try to dissect how they work exactly!
Simona--it's very cute! You'll need to look this book up and read it. Caldecott winners are for the artwork, so it truly is a winner.
Sure, Gianna, when do we get to see each other again? It may not be until Christmas! Eek!
Spiced nuts are such good munching and so easy to whip up. Snappy recipe, Ruhama!
Heavens! I looked at the large size of your photo and just wanted to reach out and grab a handful of those gorgeous peanuts. I'm now craving nuts, and I think I'm going to have to heat up the boiled peanuts I brought back from North Carolina.
The book sounds really charming. Thank you very much for taking part in our event once again! This is becoming a delicious habit.
I don't know the book, but these peanuts sound like some very tempting snacks. :)
Thanks everyone! For those that haven't read this book--it'll take you 10 minutes and you simply MUST read it. Pop over to your local library and sit right on the floor in the children's section. ;)
If anyone tries this with something other than peanuts, let me know how it turns out!
I like to pumpkin seeds in a similar style--spiced and hot! The problem then is how quickly they disappear...
It seems pumpkin seeds might be a little healthier than peanuts... or maybe that's just an illusion. :giggle: Perhaps I'll pick some of those up to use with some of the spice mix leftover.
I can easily imagine this with cashews, so I suppose I'm really curious about almonds or pistachios. Or if a mix would work!
Post a Comment