1.03.2011

blooper

Gianna and I were in charge of snacks, extras and sweet things for edibles this last week (for Christmas), so we pulled out all the fun recipe books we had (which seemed to include quite a few Pampered Chef books... they're good for appetizer and group dessert things, we noticed) and settled on several items, one of them being this:

THAT is a fake baked alaska. See how pretty it is? Yeah, we did quite a few things wrong, so ours isn't nearly as magazine worthy... but you know what? It tasted GREAT. It also is quite easy.

1 package devil's food cake mix
3/4 c semi sweet chocolate chips
1 8 oz package of cream cheese, softened
1 c powered sugar
1 container (16 ounces) cool whip-type topping

1. For the domed look, bake the cake according to package directions but for two things--use your large batter bowl and bake the cake for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Let it cool for 3 hours. If you really don't care, just bake the cake in round pans and assemble the layers without cutting.
2. Once cool, trim cake to level, then cut into four layers.
3. Chop ¼ c of chips, melting the remaining ½ c. Whisk cream cheese until smooth. Add powdered sugar and whisk until smooth. Stir melted chocolate in, mixing well. Fold 2 c of the cool whip-like substance and chopped chocolate into cream cheese. Spread bottom layer of cake with about half of the filling, forming a 3/4 inch layer. Repeat with remaining layers and filling, ending with the top layer of cake.
4. Any leftover filling should be spread on the outside to smooth cake. Cover cake with remaining whipped topping.
5. To form decorative peaks, press spreader into topping and pull away. Repeat over entire surface of cake. For easier slicing, refrigerate cake at least 30 minutes.
6. To easily cut cake into servings, cut cake into eight wedges from top to bottom. Then, cut each slice in half.

Our notes: If you're not going to eat it right away, this one is difficult to save, unless you're fortunate to have one of these. We, uh, went a different route...

Things we did 'wrong': we used a German chocolate cake mix and milk chocolate chips (and melted all of them... no chopped bits in ours!), didn't cut enough layers nor did we level it, and had the wrong size tub of Cool Whip. Honestly, though, I'm not sure about the bits of chip chunks... I rather liked it smooth!

For best results, use all PC products when making this cake.

Book recommendation: The Mockingbirds by Daisy Whitney
Recipe recommendation: 'Baked Alaska' Cake
Movie recommendation: Tangled

5 comments:

Carissa said...

I will take the blame for the wrong number of layers... I didn't read the recipe close enough. But, there were chunks of chocolate in the filling, but I must have pulverized them with the chopper a bit too much and they weren't noticeable.

I agree, tasted delicious!

Carissa said...

Also - I think ours is cuter :)

gianna said...

here here! Or is it hear hear!
I totally agree!
what a great memory!

librariane said...

I totally want to kick this one up a notch, too, by making from-scratch cake. I also want to try it as a regular layer cake and see if that changes things.

gianna said...

That's a great idea! Except that my bake from scratch cakes need a lot of help so I don't think I'm ready to try that yet!

I think it's funny that Carissa PULVERIZED the chocolate! That CRACKS me up! Most everything else was my fault! (most, but not all!)