One of the items included this year is a new spiced nut recipe from Alton Brown*. I liked this one because it's made all on the stove top. It comes together quickly and is pretty tasty!
1 t kosher salt
½ t cumin
½ t cayenne pepper
½ t dried orange peel
1 lb pecan halves
4 T butter
¼ c dark brown sugar
2 T light brown sugar
2 T water
Mix the first 4 ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
Toast the pecans in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat until fragrant (4-5 minutes). Add butter and stir until melted. Add spices and stir. Add sugars and water and stir. Cook until thickened (about 3 minutes). Pour the nuts onto a pan lined with parchment paper. Cool completely.
My notes: I didn't have any dried orange peel, so I used fresh, upping the amount to rounded teaspoon. An interesting note--this particular cast iron gets used for pancakes a lot, so my nuts have a hint of pancake about them...
A couple other items included in the gifts:
*Saw this on his FB page.
No comments:
Post a Comment