3.18.2015

deluxe

Though a bit early, this past weekend worked out as the best time for P's birthday party. The theme? Frozen*.

I had compiled several ideas (most involved cupcakes with snowflakes shoved into the icing) on Pinterest, but settled on a taller cake with 6" rounds and swirly frosting. The birthday girl wanted chocolate and blue.


I baked the cakes earlier in the week, stuck them in the freezer and then began the internal debate about whether or not to make royal icing snowflakes. This debate continued all the way until Friday afternoon, when I decided I didn't have the energy to do it properly.






Plus, once all the swirls were on the cake, adding snowflakes would have looked a little too busy anyway.




I had practiced lining up the swirls on my board the day before (using tip 1M), but I still had a little trouble getting everything to squish together so you wouldn't see cake. I pulled out tip 21 and added a few stars at the base, decided I liked it, and continued to fill in my holes. I threw on some white sugar balls on the side for extra interest. Then a quick circle of stars on top and it was done!



Once safely delivered to the party, we added an Anna and Elsa candle (plus four more in various shades of blue) and waited for guests to arrive.


It was a hit and almost every kid finished his/her piece--pretty good for a party**! 





And did you know it's really hard to capture 'opening presents' pictures? Out of the bunch I shot, I'm pretty tickled about this one: 




*I was surprised she did the Hello Kitty party last year--I fully expected Elsa then!

**The birthday girl did only eat a couple of bites at the actual party, but once everyone was gone and the excitement died down, she polished off the rest of her piece...

2 comments:

Abigail said...

Beautiful!

My cupcake sample was all that and melt-in-your mouth more!

(In case you felt an urge to expand your repertoire, say into Minecraft, I know a soon to be 10 yo boy ; )

librariane said...

Hey, I'm willing to give it a shot! I've seen a lot of ideas on Pinterest, so I know it can be done.

And--eek! 10 years old!