4.23.2007

haven

Chip and I attended our first marriage retreat this past weekend. It was sponsored by WELS and held at Lake Lawn Resort in Delavan, so we didn't have far to drive. There were couples from as far as Michigan that came! It started Friday night with a session after dinner, and then we had sessions for about half of Saturday. Then we were free to enjoy the gorgeous weather Saturday afternoon, and concluded the evening with an assigned 'date night'. Chip and I went to Kirsch's, which was quite good, and there was live music. It was relaxing and the food was excellent (particularly the appetizer special we ordered). Sunday morning was the last session, followed by a short worship service and then we were free to head home!

Overall, it was a good conference. There were 47 couples there, though, so the group time felt a little rushed. The one-on-one stuff we took away from the seminars is great, and we'll benefit from the materials to go through together. And it was especially nice to spend a bunch of time with my husband after having not seen him so much during tax season. [grin]


Lake Lawn Resort

Book recommendation: The New Girl...and Me by Jacqui Robbins
Recipe recommendation: Sautéed corn
Movie recommendation: The Prestige

2 comments:

gianna said...

I have always wanted to go to a good marriage seminar! The one time I was able to convince Chris that we should go was the biggest mistake ever. The speaker had good ideas, but he was the driest man EVER! He gave everyone who attended a copy of his outline and then proceeded to read his outline verbatim and not expand or engage the audience! I felt horrible!

librariane said...

I was quite fortunate that Chip was the one who instigated this whole thing, so I knew *for sure* that he wanted to be there. :)

Now I'd like to try a non-denominational one when we get around to attending another one.