It was a busy weekend, but gorgeous, so we made sure to keep Sunday afternoon free so we could dash out for another kayak trip!
We chose to do the last half of the Illinois Fox River in Wisconsin and I really wish I had taken a camera (note for next year: waterproof camera to keep with the kayak stuff). It was a little windy, which was a slight disadvantage as far as paddling goes: there's not much current on that part of the river. But we didn't suffer mosquitos! There were a lot of birds (even some Lesser Yellowlegs--ever seen those?), and Chip spotted a doe hiding in a thicket. The trees are only just starting to change, so it would be neat if we could do another river or trip once more before it gets too cold to see all the color. I heard Wisconsin is supposed to have a good fall display this year.
And here's something I wish we had known about earlier this year: a waterproof journal. We have a regular journal that we keep in a waterproof bag for our trips to record what, where and times. Maybe this would still be something to have to jot things down as we're on the water, instead of having to wait and remember for afterwards.
We chose to do the last half of the Illinois Fox River in Wisconsin and I really wish I had taken a camera (note for next year: waterproof camera to keep with the kayak stuff). It was a little windy, which was a slight disadvantage as far as paddling goes: there's not much current on that part of the river. But we didn't suffer mosquitos! There were a lot of birds (even some Lesser Yellowlegs--ever seen those?), and Chip spotted a doe hiding in a thicket. The trees are only just starting to change, so it would be neat if we could do another river or trip once more before it gets too cold to see all the color. I heard Wisconsin is supposed to have a good fall display this year.
And here's something I wish we had known about earlier this year: a waterproof journal. We have a regular journal that we keep in a waterproof bag for our trips to record what, where and times. Maybe this would still be something to have to jot things down as we're on the water, instead of having to wait and remember for afterwards.
I have blisters on my fingers!
Book recommendation: Bus-a-saurus Bop by Diane ZuHone Shore
Recipe recommendation: Braised Veal Shanks with Tomatoes and Beans and Basil
Restaurant recommendation: Miss Katie's Diner
1 comment:
pretty! I bet that was really cool. If I wasn't so afraid that I would drown myself I would totally join you. Instead I will admire that you go kayaking and look at the trees from the dry ground.
Post a Comment