9.06.2007

tendered

Well, I have now done something society would say is stupid (especially for a woman of today's day and age): I've turned in my resignation.

This was not an easy decision and I certainly struggled with leaving the security of good insurance, a steady paycheck, constant mind stimulation and getting to work with kids on a daily basis.

It also is hard because right now, I don't know what I'm doing next. I don't have a specific plan--just a few options to explore. At this point, God is in control and will have to let me know which door will remain open. I am taking a break from working with the public for a while, so I'm not jumping right into another Youth Services position, though I'm keeping my Wisconsin Library Association membership active. I'll still be doing a few things that are library related, like writing reviews and editing the Youth Services newsletter. And I got conned into being on a WLA committee... :grin:

So, we'll see what happens later on this fall!


Can you believe it's been almost 8 years?

Book recommendation: Library Lion by Michelle Knudsen
Recipe recommendation: Blackberry hand pies
Movie recommendation: Becoming Jane

6 comments:

gianna said...

you did the right thing for you. way to go! the possibilities are endless!

Anonymous said...

What was your reasoning behind the decision?

librariane said...

Burnout is huge in the children's librarian world, and I'm afraid that's part of it--I've succumbed. I also need a break from working with the general public.

Claudia Backus said...

I think it was a smart thing to do because you followed your heart and your gut. I took a 10 year break from library work and never regretted it although I hope you'll be back at it much sooner than that!

~natalie said...

i'm so proud of you for taking care of you. i think that's such a hard thing to do in today's world but so necessary. we know God will show you the right door at the right time. keep us posted on how everything is going.

librariane said...

Okay, I just had an interview with a reporter for the Racine Journal Times, and shared that I'm leaving, and he immediately wanted to know what I'm doing next. Talk about awkward! I did share some of my ideas, though, and made it clear I'm not giving up on the profession. So we'll see what he turns my mini-bio into when the story is actually written.