I'm still trying to figure out the future of libraries, though, and that's where I'm a little stuck. This is partly relevant because I hope to teach children's literature classes online, and if parents or caregivers are too busy to come to the library, and publishers aren't always thrilled with libraries doing vodcasts or podcasts of their books, what's the point of preschool storytime? How can I get students excited to do fingerplays and choose appropriate books? And because I've been home lately, I've started listening to NPR a bit more, and last Friday it was Science Friday on 'Talk of the Nation'. Several times, the host mentioned that they had an area set up in Second Life, and I know a lot of librarians have personalities on SL, I've seen classrooms and heard it's a way to do reference interviews, but other than that... is it worth the effort?
Besides the fact, the library is often considered your 'third place', especially if you're a teen or latch-key kid (notice how you rarely hear this term anymore?). And many retirees use the library for newspapers, to catch up with friends and sometimes attend programs (book clubs or knitting groups, etc.). Plus, people who don't have Internet connections at home or work need to get online--even job applications are electronic! So we can't do away with the physical building...
Obviously there still is a lot of thinking to be had, and I don't expect to be the one to change the world. Hopefully there are plenty of innovative folks going into library science or information science that can begin to chip away at the stereotypes and old (obsolete?) practices. Oh--quick aside--Chip and I went into an old bookstore in Cincinnati and I found the library science section. I almost bought a book about becoming a librarian that was published in the 1960s, especially when I read about folks needing to combat the image of librarians! That's a battle that will always be faced, methinks!
That picture was taken at WLA October 2007.
Book recommendation: Simply Christian by N.T. Wright
Recipe recommendation: Green Bean Salad with Toasted Pecans
Restaurant recommendation: Smoky Mountain Brewery
4 comments:
I hope libraries never go away!
Our library's centennial happens in 2008, and my suggestion for promotion was to have a "Dress like a Librarian" day--you know, the bun, glasses, and sensible shoes (I'm meeting 2 of 3 criteria today). All in good fun. :)
LOL-beth--I often meet the criteria, too, until I get my hair cut. I'm afraid for the day I have to wear sensible shoes... and cardigans. And have a lap dog. :D
oh, my kids love the library. i would be so sad if they didn't have that place to go and pick out any book they wanted or get a fun movie (hooray that we do not have to own every carebear movie ever invented!) i think being able to go to a place with oodles of books that they can pick from (without having to purchase) is such a great way to help foster a love of reading. okay, there's my soapbox. =)
Post a Comment