11.10.2007

ruminations

When's the last time you skinned your knee?

I did the other day, and man it hurts! I am continually amazed at how the little things hurt, and I often wonder why. Why is it that a paper cut can be so debilitating, whereas a broken bone seems to make us stronger? Not that I've experienced a broken bone, but I know others who have withstood much pain and gotten over it without too much complaining. But you get some skin scraped off your knee and soon everyone knows about it!

I've just completed week three of self-imposed unemployment, and this is the first week it's really hit home that "I don't have to go to work today!" Part of me felt a little guilty--kinda like complaining about my skinned knee--and then I realized I may never get a chance like this again. If we have kids, I'm not going to get these moments to myself, especially in mass quantities.

So, I'll enjoy this time off as I consider what's next. I do have a little more classwork to complete for online teaching certification, and I've got plenty of scrapbooking and card making to do (made some more Alaska ones this past week for Margaret's Junque Lady shop when it opens). And I've been doing lots of cooking and baking, which has been very fun. We have an entire cookbook about pot pies that I'll slowly work my way through this winter. Plus, I still have some library editorial duties to perform, have several friends with babies that are at home (for a while at least) and still help with high school youth group, so I'll occasionally get out of the house. ;)

Clipart from The Clipart Gallery.

Book recommendation: The Firefighters’ Thanksgiving by Maribeth Boelts
Recipe recommendation: Lemon Pepper Cashews
Movie recommendation: Zodiac

5 comments:

abcgirl said...

I have fond memories of the first few months right after college graduation. I'd finished in December with an education degree, so I was getting by on subbing. I got called in about once a week (if that) and with that income, I was able to pay my bills and buy food. Realizing that this was the last time I'd be relatively debt- and responsibility-free for a verrrrry long time, i spent whole weeks reading books, i made a fitted slipcover for our very ugly couch and basically basked in the freedom to do whatever I wanted to do. Enjoy it!

Susan said...

I came from the very tough world of Wall Street and have been on work sabbatical for over a year now. I am still adjusting to it, still feeling a little guilty, too. Enjoy your time and take your time, Ruhama.

A whole cookbook of pot pies sounds SO homey and comforting. You are giving me ideas for wintry weather ahead. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hey Ruhama, just caught myself up on your last few posts (and what's happening in your life!). Great to hear you are enjoying this favourite season of mine. We had to settle for the farmer's market rather than the orchard this year. Hope your knee heals up soon - and enjoy your 'you' time. May you get to do at least half of what you hoped to!

Anonymous said...

Don't feel guilty!! Like everyone else has said, enjoy this time. What a privilege to be able to be off work and get things done that you WANT to do, not that you HAVE to do! I long for just a week of getting to all the projects I want to complete with other responsibilities popping up!

Jen

librariane said...

Thank you all so much for the encouragement! This week has been a little tough with some loneliness and realizing this is SUCH a switch in lifestyles... We hope to have Internet at home soon, which will help as well.

Susan, I'll try to remember to send you the TOC of the pot pie book--then you can let me know which ones you'd like! :)