3.17.2008

cultivation

Well, Chip's spring snowball is completely melted, we've had a couple of teaser warm days and the cranes are back (and making a lot of noise early in the morning), so we know spring is returning!


This also means we can start planning the garden, which includes the herb garden. One thing we'll have to watch for is the parsley--we've planted it twice now and it hasn't survived from year to year. This past fall we did a little plant rearranging, too, so I'm not sure what our space issues are. I'd like to add something new, and will have to think about what we would use the most. Those chives kind of sit there forlornly...


Another thing to take into account is the possibility of canning, now that I have my grandma's canning equipment (which I've used once). If (ha--I should say 'when') those tomatoes grow out of control, I can try to plan for getting some of them into jars, rather than frantically wondering how to use them or upon which friends to foist them. I also want to try to plant things we can use easily--my parents planted black-eyed peas last year that are super easy to grow and store.


Chip also is eyeing up some new (and unusual) plants, though I'm not sure where this Honeybush would go:



I'm excited for all our fruits this year! We've got kiwi vines growing (I doubt we'll see fruit for a little while, though), blackberry bushes thriving and two raspberry areas to pick (one domestic, one wild).


Happy St. Patrick's Day!


Book recommendation: firegirl by Tony Abbott
Recipe recommendation: Glazed Pork Chops with Asian Flavors
Wine recommendation: Herding Cats Merlot/Pinotage

No comments: