Okay, so if you look at the last several entries on this blog, there's been minimal foodie posts. It's not for lack of cooking--it's more a lack of photos to go with the cooking! A couple didn't turn out due to lighting. One just looks bad (no matter what angle I used--some foods just don't photograph well). And one or two I didn't have time to snap a pic before it was consumed.
BUT, enough of my sob story.
I was thinking about favorite childhood foods lately, and realized I hadn't had Waldorf salad in a looong time. The chunks of apples, the raisins and the light dressing make this a classic, so I decided to revisit it, and jazz it up a little.
For starters, I pulled out my trusty Fannie Farmer and found the basic recipe there.
2 green apples
1 red apple
1 T lemon juice
1 c sliced celery
½ c coarsley chopped walnuts
½ c mayonnaise
1½ t honey (optional)
Core and quarter the apples and slice thin. Put in a bowl and toss with the lemon juice to coat. Add the celery and walnuts. Cover and chill. Mix the mayonnaise and honey together until smooth, add to the apple mixture and toss.
Now, I didn't add the walnuts into the mix before adding the dressing because I chose to make chai walnuts (to sprinkle on top). I also added raisins, plumping them first in hot water (due to memories). And finally, I only used one green apple and two Cortlands (or were they Jonagolds?) to have some sweetness, but still keep a bit of tart. Oh, and I remember my mom cutting the apples into chunks, rather than sliced thin, and I'm not sure which way I like better. Perhaps I'll have to do a taste-off in the future.
I don't recommend Braeburns for this recipe--texture is wrong.
Book recommendation: Airman by Eoin Colfer
Recipe recommendation: Waldorf salad
New product recommendation: Oreo FudgeRings
1 comment:
i'm interested in chai raisins
Post a Comment