6.12.2009

composition

I took private acrylic painting lessons in 1987 and then again in 1992. And now in 2009.


Last fall, Chip and I stopped by a little gallery just outside of Burlington and the owner asked if I was an artist. I said I used to be and he proceeded to tell me about the various painting classes they offered. I told him I'd think about it.


Then, somehow, the topic came up with my friend Heidi, who said she'd take a class with me. That cinched it--strength in numbers, you know!


So I asked my mom if she could find all my old painting stuff, but all she could find before the classes started was my grandma's stuff:


The first evening we each picked out a still life object to paint and the instructor began teaching us various techniques and reminding us to paint what we see (not what we think we see). It took us two classes to get them finished.


Heidi and I eagerly awaited landscape time (we both agonized over the still life--we're perfectionists...), which came next! This time we worked from photographs.





Because my landscape didn't take long, I was able to start a third painting, which took me to the end of the five week session.



Shameless promotion: if you buy something from Stamp n' Stitch and mention this blog post, I'll send you a free notecard with the coffee mug painting on it! Note: the rjkb in the top left of the photo will not be on the card.


Edited to add the link to my instructor's blog!


We'll probably take another 5 week set of lessons in August!


Book recommendation: Lincoln's Melancholy by Joshua Shenk
Recipe recommendation: Cinnamon Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
YouTube recommendation: Love Story remix

4 comments:

Marie Boyum said...

Very cool! You do have many talents! Maybe one day you will write and illustrate books!
Marie

Carissa said...

Nice paintings! Was the last one from a photo as well?

librariane said...

Well, that last one started to be from a photo, but it wasn't turning out right... rocks are hard unless it's a mountain in the distance! So it's mostly imagination.

gianna said...

nice job! i love your first landscape especially a lot.