6.27.2009

drōm

Yea! Time for the summer edition of Novel Food!

Janie has a problem: she keeps getting sucked into other people's dreams. The phenomena first started when she was eight, though she didn't begin to understand what was going on until about sixth grade. That's when she realized no more sleepovers, as only a room with the door shut keeps her away from dreams. She also has to start being aware of kids falling asleep in class, which only gets worse as she arrives at high school, where most of this story takes place.

The other thing happening in this first book (yep, it's a series) is Janie's dreamers are starting to ask her for help in their dreams, and she has to figure out how to do that. When Janie comes out of a dream, she's exhausted and needs food quickly. A boy she's recently befriended (yep, there's a boy) slips her Snicker bars at school to help, and that's where I got the idea for this entry!

And, as a bonus, it originated from a church cookbook in Merrill, WI!


Snicker Bar Salad

5-6 apples (I used granny smiths to balance all the other sweetness going on)
6 large Snicker bars
8 oz cream cheese, softened
12 oz Cool Whip
10 oz caramel topping

Cut the apples and candy bars into small chunks and place in a large bowl. Mix in cream cheese and caramel topping until apples and candy are thoroughly coated. Fold in Cool Whip. Refrigerate until ready to serve.



I made this in the morning, and the salad tasted better that night, as everything had a chance to meld. The Cool Whip became a little less 'Cool Whippy' and the cream cheese wasn't as harsh. The next day it got pretty sloshy, but still tasted good--just had a different look and feel. So it's best eaten the same day, but later in the day.

This book is best for high schoolers and older.

Book recommendation: Wake by Lisa McMann
Recipe recommendation: Snicker Bar Salad
New product recommendation: Orbit Mist Watermelon Spring gum

10 comments:

Simona Carini said...

What an interesting experience, being sucked into other people's dreams. I am trying to think how it would feel. I didn't know about Snicker bars until I moved to the US. Then my husband filled me on it. Thank you so much for your lovely contribution.

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for taking part in our event once again! I always look forward to hearing about the books you feature. This one sounds really good; I love the idea of things happening in others' dreams. And your salad! How imaginative, to get that from just the Snickers bars mentioned in the book. Very cool.

librariane said...

Thanks, girls! I've since read the second book and it's good--though not as good as the first one. And the main character switches to PowerBars in the second book, which was a bit disappointing. ;)

Susan said...

The book sounds intriguing...very.
And that Snickers salad is over the top! : D Reminds me of one of those funky, retro desserts. Are you familiar with "Square Meals" by Jane and Michael Stern? It's a cookbook of vintage American recipes, a real hoot and fun read.

librariane said...

Oh man, I'm going right to the library to look that one up, Susan! I love looking through old cookbook: my new favorite rhubarb pie is from one of my grandma's appliance cookbooks from the 1940s.

melbys said...

you've got to be kidding me! i stumbled upon your entry from lisa's site to simona's site (neither of whom i know, but i follow lisa's fabulous blog). i wanted to read your snickers recipe and now i want to read your suggested book. so i click on your profile and realize - i know you! i'm holly melby. my husband jeff is from burlington. seriously, what a small world!

librariane said...

Hi Holly! That is really crazy. Jen Boucher had a similar experience recently--she found my sister-in-law randomly through a music search within Blogger and realized she knew who she was after she read the profile page. :)

Enjoy the book and recipe!

Anonymous said...

Interesting-sounding story. I LOVE your Snicker salad. ;-))))

adele said...

A Snickers bar salad? Wow!

The book reminds me a little of a story about a girl who can enter paintings. Sounds like the two characters might have some interesting conversations. :)

librariane said...

Man, that sounds familiar! It's also like the stories where characters can enter books or the books come alive once you shut the cover.