Blackberries! We've frozen them, given them away, made cake, turned them into freezer jam and still have them coming out our ears.
The author of the Berry Bible was on WPR last month and she mentioned making blackberry soup, which intrigued me enough to look up some recipes. Her quick, on-air recipe was berries, yogurt and lime juice. The other one I decided to use consisted of berries, sugar, brandy, ice cream and peaches. Here's the final result:
3 c blackberries
½ c water
3 T sugar
2 peaches, peeled and sliced
juice from ½ a lime
1 c yogurt
Place berries and water in a saucepan, cover and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from stove and press berries through a sieve. Stir in sugar and refrigerate.
Mash peaches and lime juice to desired consistency (by hand or in a blender). Add to cold blackberries. Stir in yogurt and chill until ready to serve.
I kept my peaches a little chunky and added a few slightly mashed berries at the end to beef up the soup a little bit. The yogurt on hand was vanilla, which I think went very nicely. Finally, I garnished with a couple basil leaves. It made about a quart.
This works well as dessert, too!
Book recommendation: Gods and Kings by Lynn Austin
Recipe recommendation: Blackberry Peach Soup
Music recommendation: Bottom Line Duo
7 comments:
I want some! Can you come up for my birthday and bring us some?
today i had lunch at "Graze" (the new, less formal spin-off of L'etoile) and they served blackberry lemonade. delicious!
ooo--the lemonade idea is a great one!
Gianna: we'll have to try it with frozen fruits sometime and see if it is just as good. :)
Oh yum! I am such a fan of fruit soups. I would never have thought of this combination. Sounds divine!
Glad I could inspire you, Cheri!
Part of the inspiration was also from a blueberry-peach balsamic vinegar salad I've made in the past. :)
How about blackberry sorbet? It's a bit of work, due to the need to strain it, but well worth the effort.
Also wanted to alert you that Novel Food is on again :)
Yay! I'll have to decide which book to feature next--I have a couple in mind.
And I made a peach sorbet that was quite tasty, so I think I'll follow suit with the blackberry idea. Thanks, Simona!
Post a Comment