8.19.2010

suggestion

I wanted to make a batch of marshmallows to take to Alaska with us, as I'm not sure if they've had the pleasure of homemade marshmallows.

Our peach tree did give us peaches, but they had to be cut up, as the Japanese beetles (as well as brown rot) ruined much of the crop. By the end, we were turning some of them into sauce to pop into the freezer, so I saved ¼ cup to make peach marshmallows!

Something I'm going to invest in is concentrated food coloring. I put just a teeny bit in of this and think it's the way to go:

You probably can't see the subtly in the picture above, but the 'mallows are faintly peachy colored. I probably could have added a little more and still been on target with the color.

And speaking of subtly, the flavor is also light, so if you don't know that they're peach, you may not be able to figure out what they are. I used cardamom powdered sugar/rice flour mix to coat (the cardamom sugar was leftover from apricot bars) and think it complements the peach.

3 comments:

gianna said...

You and your cardomum. We could call you Ruhama Cardomum or Cardomum Ruhama!

Nate said...

Mallows are amazing. Peach mallows sound even more amazing.
Admittedly, though, your homemade mallows have always been exquisite in my experience... perhaps that's why they sound so good.

librariane said...

Thanks, Nate! Your dad suggested lemon next, but I had to sneak the peachy ones in first... I'll send you some of the lemon once they're complete.