11.09.2011

torus

It's time! It's time! For my favorite-ist blog event ever!




For this round, I've decided to go old school with the book and chat up a classic. This is another one by Robert McCloskey (perhaps I can figure out how to get all of his stuff entered into this event? Blueberries for Sal would be so EASY): Homer Price. Actually, what I'm going to feature is a part of the book, as it is a collection of short stories.


In this particular story, Homer is at his uncle's diner. At this diner is a doughnut maker. And this doughnut maker has decided to operate with its own mind and goes crazy. Silliness ensues and all must figure out how to fix the problem.




Inspired by King Arthur Flour and Allrecipes.


1 c pastry flour
6 T sugar
1 t baking powder
½ t salt
1 t apple pie spice
6 or 7 T buttermilk
1 egg
½ t vanilla extract
2 T oil




Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a doughnut pan (I used a mini).


In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, b. powder, salt and spice. In a medium bowl, mix milk, egg, vanilla and oil. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until blended. Do Not Over Mix!


For ease of filling, use a pastry bag or plastic bag (with tip cut off). Pipe batter into pan. Bake 8 to 10 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before removing from pan.




If you're using a regular doughnut pan, it'll make 6. If you're using a mini one, like I did, it could make up to 18. Only bake them for 7 minutes if going smaller! Because I did cinnamon sugar--I tossed them immediately after removing from the pan. If glazing, you can let them cool a bit longer. These taste best the day they are made, though you can pop them in a toaster oven for a couple minutes to 'refresh'. 


I'd like to try a yeast-based baked donut next!
Book recommendation: Homer Price by Robert McCloskey
Recipe recommendation: Baked Cake Donuts
Website recommendation: Dear Photograph

7 comments:

Simona Carini said...

A doughnut maker run amok sounds like a fun story. And your little doughnuts look adorable! Thank you so much for another lovely contribution to Novel Food.

adele said...

Oh! I haven't read Homer Price, but I have read a book of short stories that references this story! It's another collection of short stories called "Toad Food and Measle Soup," and it's about another boy who gets into all kinds of scrapes.

I like the look of these doughnuts - they look a lot less daunting than fussing with yeast and boiling oil, I think. :)

Rachel said...

Bravo on these doughnuts. I remember reading that Homer Price book when I was younger. Maybe time to read it again!

Anonymous said...

OMG! I want one or two, all your donuts, right now! They look so good. I will have to look for a donut pan. Thanks for this book recommendation. I like short story collections.

librariane said...

Thanks everyone! It was fun to rediscover this classic--I had to laugh every time they talk about 'automatic coffee makers' in the story, too... (adele--I'm going to look that collection! sounds like fun)

And for the doughnuts, the pastry flour is key to make sure the texture is right! I tried a batch with AP and they were a bit ... um, chewy ... yeah.

Jo said...

Robert McCloskey! I haven't read him in years, and I can't recall if I ever read Homer Price! Now you've given me an idea...I may read Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs for my next Novel Food event!

Those doughnuts look amazing. A doughnut pan would certainly make things easier! Deep frying terrifies me!

librariane said...

Jo! That's very exciting: I can't wait to see what you do with that book!

And what also is nice about this recipe is no yeast, thus they're fast.