I pulled it out again recently and decided the carrot loaf was next for a revival.
from Maida Heatter's Book of Great Desserts
2½ c flour
2 t b. powder
1 t b. soda
½ t salt
1 t cinnamon
1 c raisins
1 c grated carrot (3-4 medium-sized)
¾ c chopped walnuts
1 c dark brown sugar
2 eggs
1 c milk
¼ c butter, melted
Preheat oven to 400ยบ. Butter and dust with breadcrumbs an 8 to 10 cup capacity loaf pan.
Sift the dry ingredients together and set aside.
Put raisins, walnuts, brown sugar and carrot in a large bowl. Stir to mix. Lightly beat eggs in a small bowl and add to the large bowl. Stir to mix. Add milk and melted butter. Stir to mix. Add dry ingredients and mix only until blended (do no overmix).
Pour into prepared loaf pan. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then turn out on a cooling rack.
My notes: I skipped the walnuts because I don't like nuts in my bread, unless they're ground finely... so I guess I could have included them if I had prepared them differently. I used two loaf pans because I was afraid mine were too small. As a result they baked way faster, and for some reason, squat quick bread isn't as satisfying, so I highly recommend checking how much your loaf pan holds and use just one. Also--you can just flour and butter the pan, or use baking spray.
Great for breakfast!
Book recommendation: Lovabye Dragon by Barbara Joosse
Recipe recommendation: Carrot Loaf
Wine recommendation: Schlink Haus Riesling
No comments:
Post a Comment