In honor of National Ice Cream Month, I've been making all sorts of ice creams (and frozen treats), including some of the paper variety!
Astute readers will have noticed the fun photo in that post linked above, wishing they, too, could make one of these extremely cute ice cream cones*. Wonder no longer, for I have a tutorial for you!
Start by printing two sets of your ice cream cone, one on white cardstock and the other on tan/kraft/brown cardstock.
Then cut off the ice cream portion on the white cardstock. This is the part you'll color.
I decided to color mine with Distress Ink and sponges, to get a softer looking ice cream. You may color however you wish: crayons, markers, paint, etc. I needed to block off my cherry so it wouldn't get colored, so I masked it with a piece of cut paper. Then I used Worn Lipstick and Aged Mahogany to turn this into a strawberry (or cherry) flavor.
Once it's done, you're ready to cut! I didn't worry about the stem on the cherry, knowing it would still appear on the base cardstock layer. Then I colored my cherry with paint to really make it pop, then set the whole thing aside to let it dry.
In the meantime, I added a little dimension to my cone. You can do this however you like: colored pencil, crayon, etc. I used the Vintage Photo Distress Marker and a water pen.
Be sure you're ready with the water pen right away here to soften edges--this is regular paper, not watercolor paper! Draw a little bit, then swipe it with the water pen. Do this again, until you've reached the desired darkness of shadows.
Now adhere your ice cream to your cone.
I rounded off my corners, though this would still look fabulous with straight points.
Then I decided it needed a little pizzazz. So I added some flourishes with a black marker and some dots with that same marker. To finish, I added a couple of white dots.
And violá! A beautiful ice cream cone that won't melt before you can enjoy it! Stick this on the front of a card and mail it to an ice-cream-loving friend. Or pop it on yet another piece of cardstock and stick it in a frame and hang it. Your ice cream choices are endless, and you could create a whole wall of cones!
*Drawn by Christy of TiddlyInks.
No comments:
Post a Comment