Eventually she learns her name is Sera and she's on the run from Diotech, a company on the cutting edge of science. Zen, her boyfriend from the compound, has filled her in by hooking her brain up to a cube of memories, which includes the fact that she is, indeed, a created being, thus the company really wants her back. Sera is relieved to find out why she can run for miles and not get tired, and knows other languages without having every studied.
Part of regaining her memory involves learning about every day life, from cars to computers to eating. One of the first things she eats when she's released from the hospital is a grilled cheese sandwich.
I study my plate, noticing how the gelatinous orange cheese drips over the edge of the bread and seems to cling to the sides. I pick up one half and hold it tentatively between my fingers. ... The flavor explodes in my mouth, overwhelming me and filling me with a sense of elation that I can't quite understand. The texture is both crunchy and creamy, and every time I chew, it releases more and more delicious aroma onto my tongue. (39)I don't recall the reaction I had to my first delectable toasted cheese, but I can only hope it was like this.
As soon as I had read about the grilled cheese, I knew I had my next Novel Food book, and it was confirmed when I stumbled upon the Grown-up Grilled Cheese recipe in an issue of Cook's Illustrated that I had pulled out for another recipe. There are several variations, but I decided to stick to the basic one first.
7 oz 1 year aged cheddar cheese, cut into 24 equal pieces, room temp
2 oz Brie, rind removed
2 T dry white wine or vermouth
4 t minced shallot
3 T unsalted butter, softened
1 t Dijon mustard
8 slices hearty white sandwich bread
1. Process cheeses and wine in a food processor until a smooth paste is formed (about 20-30 seconds). Add shallot and pulse (3 to 5 pulses). Combine butter and mustard in a small bowl.
2. Assemble on a parchment-covered countertop. Spread mustard-butter evenly over one side of each slice of bread. Flip four slices over and spread the cheese mixture evenly. Top with the other slices, butter side up.
3. Preheat a skillet over medium heat for 2 minutes. Place 2 sandwiches in skillet, reducing heat to medium-low. Cook until both sides are crispy, about 6-9 minutes per side. Remove from skillet and let stand for 2 minutes before serving. Repeat with remaining two sandwiches.
My notes: I'm sure you could get the same results (and be able to cook all four at once) on an electric griddle. I ended up making my own sandwich bread (also from Cook's) as the grocery stores only had 'cheap' white bread the day I was shopping. And I'm not thrilled with their buttering method--half my butter stuck to the paper, so I'd like to tweak that part.
We did not have tomato soup for this round.
Book recommendation: Unremembered by Jessica Brody
Recipe recommendation: Grilled cheese sandwiches
Wine recommendation: New Age White (Argentina)
6 comments:
Hi Ruhama,
looks like delicious!!!
:)
The book sounds very intriguing. I love that passage about her eating the cheese sandwich - her whole experience. Oh man! Your cheese sammich looks awesome! Perfect to eat on an autumn day. :-)
What an intriguing story! As always, your choice of book makes me hungry for more. And who wouldn't want to start relearning about food with melted cheese? Thank you so much for your contribtion to Novel Food.
What I usually do is butter one slice, put it face down on the griddle and then top with cheese and another buttered slice. Sometimes I suspect that Cook's Illustrated makes certain things a bit difficult on purpose! I'm always thinking, "Why so many steps? Why so many things to clean?" :-)
The shallots, vermouth and dijon sound like an amazing addition to grilled cheese (one of my all-time favorites).
I bet I could try buttering and placing in the pan first--though it's a cheese paste, I recall it being crumbly enough to add 'after-the-fact' and still get good results. Now I'll need to give it a try!
What a gorgeous grilled cheese and I love that description of it from the book too.
You have me really intrigued by the book--why I love Novel Food. ;-)
Post a Comment