For Christmas, Chip's sister gave us a bag of freekeh, knowing we like cooking and experimenting with foods. This past weekend, I finally pulled it out and pinned a few recipes on Pinterest!
The first recipe I made is an autumn-inspired salad, though I changed a couple of things, it being the middle of February. Now, if I had made this when we still had kale in our garden, I would have been a bit more true to the original recipe. As it is, the kale in the grocery store looked a little... firm...
The squash is from our garden--we still have several that came from volunteer plants. I made sure to cut them small so they would roast somewhat quickly. Then I cut up the apple, toasted and roughly chopped the pecans, separated the cherries so they were not one big lump, opened a can of beans and started assembling as the freekeh cooked.
In the original recipe, she calls for a cooking time of 40 minutes, but she also uses whole grains. Ours are cracked, so it only took 25. The other thing I changed (and have already alluded to) was the greens: I got Swiss chard and used a little green cabbage we already had in the fridge.
I must say, this recipe is delicious and quite filling, which is nice. We had it for lunch and it tided both us over until 4 pm. There was enough left over, too, for lunch the next day. Perfect!
Stay tuned for more adventures with this tasty grain.
No comments:
Post a Comment