7.24.2015

momentum

So. We've been home about two months now, and the changes have been phenomenal. The shock of having a third person in your home is huge, especially when you get that person as a toddler. My cousin said it best: it's like getting a bucket of ice water thrown on you (remember the ALS challenge?), and it's not a small ice cream pail.



We are beyond blessed that attachment has not been an issue* for us, as I need as much help as possible because I am just worn out, all the time. We're all still adjusting and I know I've already botched it a few times, thanks to tiredness. This constant exhaustion is partly due to who I am. A friend (who is highly creative, btw) posted a great article about what it's like to be a creative and much of it resonated with me.

But you pair this with being an introvert and I'm in some serious trouble. There have been several times where intellectually I knew what was going on, but emotionally, I just lost it. And the emotions tend to outrank the brain, for some reason. Much I can attribute to not getting enough alone time or the chance to be creative.



But T has made great strides** since being in our home. We've decided his first English word is 'ball' and he continues to eat like a champ (though still too fast--we continue to pace him). He still doesn't nap well, but giving up the morning nap certainly has helped. Both T and I are working on a lovely farmer's tan (despite copious amounts of sunscreen...) as we take walks often. Walking to Pick n' Save to buy one or two things has been a great way to kill time in the morning. 

Chip has figured out his summer work schedule, too, which is to go in early so he can come home early. This has been fantastic for all of us, I think, as then there is son/daddy bonding time that isn't just at mealtime. And I can escape to fix dinner or update Instagram or bake muffins.


He gives this dog hugs. It's adorable.



*Major God thing here. That's the only way this could have happened. This blog post really made me step back from my struggles and realize we are meant to have T in our family.
**Not literally, thankfully, though he's darn close...

2 comments:

Abigail said...

Praise God!
Good testimony, Ruhama, creative introvert mother.

Heather said...

I can certainly identify with being worn out most of the time! Every now and then I have a good day, and I'm like, "Wow, so THIS is what feeling normal feels like!" Thanks for sharing -I just thought that my being an introvert accounted for how I am - I didn't know that also being a creative person affected energy levels and coping ability. That explains a lot!