10.26.2007

autumnal indicators

It's my favorite time of year, and there are certain signs that fall has arrived. Here are a few of them (besides the obvious leaf changes):

1. Garden centers and nurseries have everything on sale, and it's the perfect time to plant annuals and trees! This unusual flower is a Fanfare Gaillardia, and it's been planted in the back forty. We also picked up a forsythia bush (yea!) that's been strategically placed in the back as well. We still have a few other things we'd like to plant, but we're going to wait a little bit to see what happens behind us and make sure what we've mapped out is what we really want to do.


2. The sourdough biscuits start again! One of my favorite things about fall (and, ultimately, winter) is all the food associated with it, and that includes these famous biscuits. My mom gave me the starter, and she's had it forever, so this is an old recipe. In the summer, the starter goes in the freezer to take a little nap until it's cool outside again, and one can truly enjoy warm food like soups, hot chocolate and baked goods straight from the oven.

3. Pumpkin patches and apple orchards! I think it's a state law (especially in the midwest) that you have to go at least once during the season to either or both a pumpkin patch or an apple orchard to pick out these fall treats. And if you have kids, it's really required! :giggle: I've tried out computer scrapping with our pictures from this event, and it was neat to have this page come together. It definately takes practice--I still don't have the layering technique down yet, but I hope to get more of this under my belt soon. A lot of the papers and such are from a neat website, and I hope to figure out a few of my own designs soon, as well. I did that pumpkin all on my own using Paint!




I had a nice walk in the woods to take that top picture!

Book recommendation: Expressions by Alison Tyler Jones and Donna Smylie
Recipe recommendation: Parmesan-Herb Drop Biscuits
Parody recommendation: Thumbs at the Movies

7 comments:

gianna said...

I love the fall, too!
You have totally epitomized the fall in your activities.
Also, I have updated my blog. There will be more to come sooner than later!

~natalie said...

fall is my favorite. i love jeans a sweater. that crisp air and all the great things to do. we were so lucky to be able to do most of the fall "stuff" this year. the scrapbook page looks good to me!

librariane said...

Yes, I think I forgot to mention that I can whip out coats, scarves and sweaters! I love that part about fall, too. :)

Anonymous said...

Pumpkin patch is one of my favorite traditions with the kids! I am dying to plan stuff for the fall/winter but we have had such a drought that we aren't allowed to water. Makes me sad...

Missed seeing you at TU - just wasn't the same without you there.

Gotta ask - is there a little pumpkin in the patch? First talk of diapers now of requirements with kids. Just curious... :-)

Love,
Jen

Anonymous said...

Whoops, I meant to say that I was dying to PLANT stuff, not plan stuff. We have plenty of plans...just no new plants. :-(

librariane said...

Nope, not yet, Jen, though we hope to get there in the future. ;) I must say, though, that most everyone around here is looking at me like we *must* be since I quit my job, all our friends are preggers or have babies and it's been two years of marriage...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for curing my curiosity! I remember that feeling well of everyone wondering "when" the big announcement would be. (And now I get to do that to my friends and family! hee hee hee)
Jen