12.04.2007

snug

The snow is gently falling, the temperatures have been hovering around freezing, it's gloomy and Chip's starting to fight a cold. This all adds up to equal a pot of soup!


I've made squash soup before and really enjoyed it. I also have made pumpkin soup (just a month and a half ago, actually), which also was tasty, especially with the Fontina cheese pieces in the bottom of the bowl. There is an Autumn Bisque recipe I've been dying to try, but I wanted something a little more simple for today. And relatively healthy, so I used a recipe from Zorba Paster that I printed out a couple of years ago. I also could use things I had in the fridge, too--celery, carrots and ginger were all on hand. And squash was on sale!

So, here's the recipe to try it out for yourselves, since the Zorba archive is only for the last year or so:

(serves 4)
1 1/2 T Extra virgin olive oil (evoo, anyone?)
2 t fresh ginger, peeled and grated
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 med yellow onion, chopped
1 med carrot, diced
2 med red potatoes, cubed
1 med acorn squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
3 1/2 cups water
1/2 t cardamon powder
1/2 t cayenne pepper
2 T almonds, chopped
salt and pepper to taste


In a large saucepan, heat olive oil. Over low-medium heat, add ginger, garlic, celery, onion and carrot. Sauté for 10-12 minutes until carrots begin to get tender. Add potatoes and squash. Stir in water and spices. Raise heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes or until squash and potatoes are very tender.

Purée soup in a blender in 1-2 cup batches,unless you'd rather have a chunky soup. Serve hot, sprinkled with almonds.


I do have to admit I used a butter and oil combo to sauté the first veggies, as I like that taste. I also did them on a higher heat at first to brown the onions a little, and then turned it down to make sure everything cooked through. And I used an immersion blender--much faster and less messy. And note this is a bit spicy, so if you're not inclined to so much pepper, reduce that cayenne. And I added a dash of nutmeg for fun. Remember that's a powerful spice, so don't add much if you're going to do that. Otherwise, enjoy!


Did you know ginger helps with nausea?

Book recommendation: I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith
Recipe recommendation: Ginger-Almond Squash soup
Parody recommendation: Monty Python sketches

4 comments:

gianna said...

you know, if I was getting over the gastroenteritis/rotovirus or norovirus, this would sound really good. As of right now, i am not feeling the greatest, but I will take your word for it that it was tasty. I am enjoying oatmeal and crackers right now. It looked tasty! I should give you my recipe of chicken noodle soup. I love it! It is SOSOSOSOO good! I will do that someday for you.

gianna said...

i mean wasn't getting over stomach flu, not WAS! Augh typos!

librariane said...

Yes, I need a good chicken soup recipe. Does it have veggies in it? I have green beans and carrots in the freezer I hope to throw in soup.

~natalie said...

the perfect winter soup. it's been cold and snowy here so it sounds perfect. though now it's cold and rainy...i like the snow better. it's prettier. =)