I know I just posted about food, but I have to do it again because of the event that's happening! (I missed it last time.) Though I'm not using a novel, per say, I am pulling out one of my favorite short stories that features food within the Frog and Toad series: 'Cookies'.
Frog and Toad are best friends who learn many important lessons together, and this one involves chocolate chip cookies. Fresh cookies, as we all know, are irresistible, and the two can't stop eating them, even though they know they'll regret it later. This is where they learn the meaning of willpower, and, actually, learn a lesson in sharing, too, because they give the cookies to the birds.
This particular story sticks out to me because I vividly remember wanting to eat cookies every time I read (or listened to the record--and yes, I mean vinyl) this adventure. In fact, I read it again recently, and found it's still true many years later. And I often have to use lots of willpower when I bake cookies, and usually make sure there's a way to share them.
A new recipe I've been wanting to try is Thin and Crispy Oatmeal Cookies, which came in the latest Cooks Illustrated magazine (Jan/Feb 08). These truly are irresistible, so they fit into the Frog and Toad story quite well.
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
3/4 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t table salt
14 T (1 3/4 sticks) unsalted butter, softened but still cool
1 c sugar
1/4 c light br sugar
1 large egg
1 t vanilla
2 1/2 c old-fashioned oats1. Preheat the oven to 350ยบ. Line 3 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk flour, b. soda, b. powder and salt in a medium bowl.
2. Beat butter and sugars at medium-low until just combined (20 seconds). Increase speed to medium and beat 1 minute. Scrape the bowl, add vanilla and egg. Beat on medium-low until incorporated. At low speed, add the flour mixture and beat about 10 seconds. Continuing on low, gradually add oats and mix until well incorporated (20 seconds). Give dough a final stir with a rubber scraper to check for flour pockets.
3. Divide the dough into 24 equal portions (about 2 T each), then roll into balls. Place cookies about 2 1/2 inches apart on baking sheets (about 8 per sheet). Using fingertips, gently press each dough ball to 3/4 inch thickness.
4. Bake one sheet at a time 13-16 minutes until golden brown, rotating baking sheets halfway through. Transfer sheet to a wire rack and let cookies cool on the sheet to ensure crispness.
A couple of notes: Mine took 14 minutes to bake, and I mushed them about 1/2 inch, instead of the 3/4 inch. I only have two cookie sheets, so I let the first one cool completely before reusing it. Also, I used Quaker Oatmeal (old-fashioned), as that's what we had on hand in bulk.
Seriously, these are addicting. Especially if you add coconut.
Book recommendation: Frog and Toad Together by Arnold Lobel
Recipe recommendation: Thin and Crispy Oatmeal cookies
YouTube recommendation: Birds of Paradise: Toucan
9 comments:
This is a really sweet story, Ruhama. The cookies indeed sound and look irresistible, so it is a good thing Frog and Toad can help us handling our tendency to eat too many of them.
Thanks so much for the great post—and the cookies do indeed look delectable. I've never heard of the Frog and Toad stories; they sound charming.
Glad you could join in!
Nice photography! My pastor once used that exact same Frog and Toad story in a sermon.
Now I'm hungry for cookies. thanks a lot!
Now I'll have to go seek out "Frog and Toad." Children's lit can be irresistible, like these cookies! I particularly like oatmeal ones that are crispy and caramelized. Birds do, too! I can vouch for that!
Thanks, everyone! This was really fun and I look forward to the next event. :)
Frog and Toad truly are timeless and I'm glad to be sharing them with more people! And these cookies are dangerous to have sitting around the house... hubby and I have eaten half the batch thus far... The rest are going to youth group with me!
mia loves frog and toad! and i love that you used it in this post. the cookies look great but i'm going to have to wait a bit before i attempt them (our blog explains it all...)
But after they give the cookies to the birds, Toad (or is it Frog) heads home to bake a cake. Now that's willpower - or at least the kind I have! Great post!
Frog and Toad! I love those stories. :)
And the cookies look lovely.
Yes, I love that twist at the end, especially since I'm a cake kind of girl anyway. :)
Thanks for visiting!
Post a Comment