Well, the garden is starting to go great guns now and we're enjoying all kinds of fresh veggies as a result! Everything is a little later than usual this year, so we've only had cherry tomatoes in abundance thus far, but check out this new tomato variety we got (sorry, can't remember the name of it...):

It's pretty meaty, so I'm not sure if I'll can them straight or make sauces and can sauce. They aren't very big, either...
We're also harvesting our asparagus beans, which are pretty neat:
I tried to take a picture of them being prepared (using the recipe below), but our kitchen is too dark, so it didn't turn out. They were quite tasty, though! We did have to mix these with some of our regular green beans, as only half a pound was ready of the long beans, but it still turned out nicely.
We've got more yellow squash than we know what to do with!
Book recommendation: The Way Back Home by Oliver Jeffers
Recipe recommendation: Chinese Yard Long Beans with Garlic
Wine recommendation: Cedar Creek's Settlement Gold
2 comments:
my aunt planted asparagus beans, too. I think we both did not have success with them because an animal came along and ate it or something. She was so funny, though. She wanted to be able to tell Rozlynn (my 12 year old cousin--well, almost. Her birthday is my birthday!)to go out to the garden to pick a bean for supper! :)
Well, now that we're experienced, I think we'll plant these again! They're kinda fun, though I'm amazed at how many you need for a pound, despite their length... Your aunt's plan cracks me up.
Post a Comment