11.06.2008

finger food

I really like to make snacks. I'm not exactly sure why, but perhaps some of it has to do with the ability to create several dishes for folks to enjoy. And autumn snacks seem to be in abundance in my recipe books, foodie blogroll and clippings folders...

Jen and I decided to have some fun nibbles available at our Craft Open House this past weekend, and we took advantage of all the fun stuff you can cook up for treats when doing something fallish. Because of apple season, one thing I made was Dutch Apple tarts.


Then, due to weather turning colder (yea for soup, stew and potpie season!), I also chose to make a savory selection. I'm the type that can't resist peeking into the oven while things are baking. I know you're supposed to just turn on the light and look through the window, but I always open up the door a crack...

Perhaps some of the fascination with snacks has to do with the smallness of the food (mini cheese muffins--aren't they cute!?!). I've loved miniature things most of my life (The Littles, anyone?)...

And then, with Chip's help, I made pumpkin fudge. I tried this last year and failed. It tasted great but never 'fudged'. You have to stir this forever before it hits soft ball stage, and that might be where I went wrong before, as I probably gave up or thought I had hit it (but didn't really).



It makes a lot, so be sure to have ample places to share if you plan to make this recipe...





I realized I probably never shared the Korean Daisies in bloom!

Book recommendation: Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson
Recipe recommendation: Pumpkin Fudge
Parody recommendation: Demotivation Posters

3 comments:

Mike of Mike's Table said...

Those all sound so tasty--the tarts, the muffins, and especially the fudge (I'm such a sucker for fudge).

librariane said...

And now you're empowered, Mike! Enjoy the link to the recipe. ;)

Hazel said...

How yummy is that!