Remember all those peaches? Well, I've been whittling away at them, bit by bit. Chip's made a pie and I've put some in the freezer as well.
When I saw the Virtual Jam Swap, I knew that would be my next project. I pulled out my jam/jelly book to see what my peach options were. I decided on the peach brandy concoction, as it was simple, yet slightly different.
Because I was using Sure Jell as my pectin, and the low sugar kind, I adapted joan's recipe a bit, so if you look hers up, it will have more sugar and pectin (she buys it in bulk). I also have the cooking directions more in line with the Sure Jell instructions.
Don't you just love this font?
4 c peeled, pitted, chopped peaches
2 T lemon juice
1 pkg pectin
3 c sugar
1/3 c good-quality brandy
Put peaches and lemon juice in a large pot. Mix the pectin with ¼ c sugar (from the original 3 c) and add to the pot. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add remaining sugar quickly and return to a full roiling boil. Boil exactly one minute then remove from heat. Stir in brandy.
Pour jam into jelly jars, seal and process in a water bath for 10 minutes.
As far as quantity, joan's recipe says 8-9 eight ounce jars, the Sure Jell folks say 5 cups. I got about 7 jelly jars full, with a tiny bit left in the pan before processing (hence I knew I could recommend this--it's pretty yummy).
We're going to have to get in a toast habit.
Book recommendation: well preserved: a jam-making hymnal by joan hassol
Recipe recommendation: Brandy Peach Jam
YouTube recommendation: Don't Stop Believing (Glee cover)
2 comments:
Looks delish! Thanks so much for participating!
Thanks for the pointer, Ruhama. Your jars look good.
Post a Comment