3.04.2010

coloration

This submission for Colorful Monday is a bit of a mystery. The color this time is black and Chip suggested I get a picture of these little seeds (and their pods):

The thing is, neither of us remembers what they are! If anyone can help us out, we would appreciate it.

Update: smart folks have alerted me to the fact that they are nigella seeds. Check out the comments for a nifty link about them!

4 comments:

Hilary said...

Hmmm... Nigella seeds?

Heather said...

For what it's worth, I agree with Hilary.

Susan said...

Yes, they are nigella seeds, from the flower of the same name, also called Love in a Mist. The seeds are used often in Middle Eastern (Syrian string cheese) and Indian recipes (where it's generally known as kolonji). Some call them black onion seeds, but they aren't onion at all.

The pods are what's left of the dried-out flowers, which are very airy, feathery, and delicate in beautiful pastels.

It's a gorgeous shot, Ruhama. It caught me right away on Colorful Monday.

librariane said...

Thanks everyone! Susan, second thanks for the 'extra' names so I know how to search for ways to use them.

I also found this site, thanks to the consensus here:
http://www.chow.com/ingredients/309