Because the tomatillos that were left were a variety of sizes, I decided salsa was in order. Plus there weren't that many to harvest, either, so mixing them with other ingredients would bulk the remaining fruit.
I pulled out my Ball book to see what they suggested for preserving, and then taking a note from one of Rick's recipes, cobbled a small batch of salsa. I'm going to give you the full recipe, though I sort of halved it, as I only had about 1 pound of tomatillos.
5½ c husked and halved tomatillos (about 2 lbs)
1 c chopped onion
2 seeded and chopped jalapeños
4 cloves garlic, peeled
2 T chopped cilantro
2 t cumin
½ t salt
½ c vinegar
¼ c lime juice
Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high (if not nonstick, line the pan with foil--in fact, I'd do this anyway--it's kinda messy and mine took a couple of batches) and place tomatillos, cut side down, in with garlic cloves. Roast until soft and then flip, roasting the other side. Remove from pan and let cool. Put tomatillos, garlic, cilantro, cumin and salt in a food processor and blend.
In a saucepan, combine the rest of the ingredients along with the blended mixture and bring to a simmer for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, prep your jars and hot water bath. Once everything is ready, process for 15 minutes. Let cool 12 hours.
My notes: because of the differing sizes of fruit, my tomatillos didn't take long to roast. Rick suggests 3-4 minutes per side. I also didn't add a lot of onion, as even half would have drowned the tomatillos. And I went easy on the jalapeño becauseI don't like a lot of heat. Oh, and you don't have to preserve this: just skip the simmer for 10 minutes part--that's to get it hot for putting in jars.
I love these decorative jars!
Book recommendation: Ten Cents a Dance by Christine Fletcher
Recipe recommendation: Tomatillo Salsa
Wine recommendation: Robert Mondovi Fumé Blanc
4 comments:
Love those sweet little jars! Wherever did you find them?
Farm and Fleet (sometimes known as Fleet Farm--depends on where you are in our state). They have a whole section for canning supplies, which is a life saver, as so many stores only have the bare minimum!
I love that jar too!
So I am really ignorant on tomatillos having never cooked with them before (and if I have eaten them I didn't realize what I was eating). I know they are tomato family, but what do they taste like? Have you used them in other recipes?
In general, they're pretty mild. We did a chicken crockpot recipe with them and they pretty much turned into sauce.
When used fresh (like the other salsa recipe in Rick's book), they're a lot like a green tomato, but sweeter. The texture is a little different, too. Kinda like how chayote are a squash, but different.
Post a Comment