1.13.2012

interim

Here's the latest report, including some more tidbits we've picked up from reading, as well as a few fun things.
  • Here's the biggest piece of news: things have changed over in Russia--we now have to take three trips instead of just two. Each trip will last a week, there will be a month to two months in between and for the third, only one parent is required to go. This is when we would bring the children home, though, so there is no way I (or Chip) would do that solo! The change is a bit devastating for me, especially because I don't travel well. I was looking forward to the month-long trip to adjust to being on the other side of the world. I was looking forward to absorbing more of their culture to remember it for later. (and yes, I know, we can extend one of the trips ourselves to do just that) I was looking forward to some bonding time with the kids in-country before jumping on a plane. I was looking forward to not leaving the kids behind after the second trip. 
  • I want to make these cards for something (probably Christmas this year).
  • Check out the chalkboard calendar we got! It's in the laundry room (a room which just got a mini makeover from Chip, though we don't have a boot tray yet, but hey, we don't have any snow, either... check that--it finally snowed last night!).
  • Here is an awesome blog post about before and after adoption (Christian perspective)! Please don't take offense at anything she says: just read it to gain some insight.
  • Another confirmation that I've picked up from reading is that we're 'the right type' for adopting in the fact that our lives are not crazy-busy. Key to forming attachments is having time to connect. We need to have plenty of time to play, pay attention to needs and redirect behavior. We're both somewhat homebodies, so this concept works well for us.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The nesting dolls would be great birth announcements! RJK

Megan said...

Hi, I hopped over from Gianna's blog and wanted to say congratulations on your adoption journey! I also wanted to confirm that being home-bodies will be helpful for you, especially at first. We are blessed to have six children now ages 5-16 that we adopted at ages 4 months to 16 years old and getting comfortable at home takes a lot longer for our kids than we ever imagined. This journey is not like I thought it would be - and I'm so thankful for every minute of it! Blessings to you and your family!

librariane said...

Thanks, Megan! I've always tried to design my life to be less busy than the average American, which has come in handy more than once (read: I could save the day for a mom of 4 when she discovered she was out of coffee!).