3.14.2013

betterment

My annual teen/juvenile choice for our adult book club came in March: we read Bluefish (last year's Elizabeth Burr/Worzalla winner!). This is a story of high schoolers in a small town in Wisconsin, particularly the story of Travis, who struggles in his home life, school life and social life. It's a lovely story about friendship and growing up. Velveeta is one of the few who befriends him, sitting with Travis at lunch and often stealing part of his food every day.

And this was where I decided to go with our snacks. I also got some inspiration from a blogger who did this for a childhood friends reunion. So I present: a ramped up version of high school lunch.

I had to make her version of Fruit Roll-Ups (and I'm super excited to have this new outlet for our blackberries, come blackberry season!):



Then I wanted to have a 'grown up' version of a ham sandwich:



We also had to have chips (this version, though baked in the oven at a low temp), made with sweet potatoes:



And, of course, there had to be dessert, as that's what Velveeta snitched the most from Travis' lunch tray. Here we have some 'grown up' chocolate chip cookies:



We had chocolate milk. Though I wasn't on the ball enough to get paper cartons. 


Book recommendation: Bluefish by Pat Schmatz
Recipe recommendation: do those cookies first!
YouTube recommendation: PickoftheWeek--Bluefish

2 comments:

Abigail said...

A simply scrumptious "grown up" lunch with hot coffee to boot! All alongside a heartwarming story. Thanks so much, Ruhama!

Sarah said...

Wonderful treats, I think I can safely say we all had a wonderful evening.