This started because of two posts I had read: a smoothie recipe and a grenadine recipe. I bought pomegranates without realizing I just needed to buy the juice, so they sat on the counter getting quite ripe...
Also, I didn't do it right, apparently. But no matter--I just wanted the juice, anyway.
Once I got all the seeds out (I used a spoon, then sorted through with my fingers--some were a little far gone), I put them in a sieve and pushed the juice off into a bowl. This splattered a bit, so if you do this, use a bowl with tall sides.
I had asked Chip to pick up some juice for the grenadine once I realized that's all I needed, so I figured I'd best do a little taste test. Mine was a bit sweeter, but I also had a pretty ripe pom. I also didn't filter super-fine, which I'm sure the commercial stuff is, so mine felt a little thick in the mouth. And, as you can see, the color is vastly different, which could be important.
So!
The smoothie! One can always tinker, thus I give you a basic outline of what worked. This one was born out of the need to use up coconut milk and blackberries as well.
½ c frozen blackberries
1 c pomegranate juice
½ c coconut milk (I used the lite version)
½ banana
grated ginger (to taste)
dollop of honey (to taste)
1 comment:
We buy the POM brand pomegranate juice to make homemade grenadine. It is so yummy, and it doesn't make me cringe to serve it (like the store bought HFCS kind does).
Post a Comment