1.15.2008

bestowal

I know, I know, two posts in one week, but that last one didn't really count...


The annual awards have been announced, and it's always interesting to see who wins.


The Newbery winner is one I haven't heard of (which happens a lot): Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! Voices from a Medieval Village by Laura Amy Schlitz. Often I'll go find the unknown book(s) and read it, though this year there's not as much rush. Though I am still writing reviews for Rhonda, so actually, there's still a bit of a rush...


The winner for the Caldecott is one I have read, and it's a fantastic book: The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick. It's a story told in text and pictures, though not technically a graphic novel. He even throws in a few real photos, as old movies are a feature in the story (pun intended). It's slightly unusual for a novel to win, as picture books usually get the nod first. That's logical, though, as they feature illustrators the best anyway.


And the third award I pay the most attention to is the Printz: The White Darkness by Geraldine McCaughrean, which is another I haven't heard of. This is making me feel like I'm REALLY out of touch, though in reality, I'm not... there is just so much published it's hard to stay on top of everything.
There are others that I used to post outside my office--the Coretta Scott King, the Pura Belpré and the Burr Award (though that's announced at a different time of year), but most folks know and (teachers especially) care about the big three.


In other news, I did spend an hour and a half in a library this morning, and it was kinda nice. I was able to review a few picture books and checked out a couple juvenile titles that I'll read at home and review later. Chip was visiting a client in Elkhorn, and I can be rather anonymous over there, so I tagged along, and then we headed to Janesville (Speakeasy for lunch and then a stamp store visit!) for the afternoon, where Chip stopped by a few clients to pick up stuff.




If you want to see all the books awarded, head over to the ALA page.


Book recommendation: Chester by Mélanie Watt
Recipe recommendation: Carnitas (Slow-Fried Pork)
YouTube recommendation: Japp commercial

2 comments:

gianna said...

I'm going to have to read the Newberry winner. It sounds so interesting! I'm not sure if I will be interested in the Caldecott winner, but if you say it's fantastic, then I may need to give it a whirl. If I get to it, I will try to get ahold of the Printz, too.

librariane said...

It's more the execution that's so fantastic about the Caldecott winner--the story's okay, but how he put the whole thing together is fantastic. It reads really quickly, too, since it's a lot of visual reading. :)