So, I've decided I'd better keep myself humble and post about a few 'Disasters in Baking' I've had recently.
The first is from my Biscuit Bliss book, and I have no idea what went wrong. I followed the recipe exactly and ended up with biscuits that were overly salty. Completely inedible--they're currently in the freezer waiting to be used when we've a recipe that needs bread crumbs in it. I did make a note in the book to decrease the salt next time, if I decide to try it again.
The next disaster was caused by thoughtlessness: bread left to rise on a hot stovetop. I was probably multitasking a little too much (this is never a good idea for me) and didn't even stop to think about the fact it would be waaay too hot on the stove when the oven was on, cooking our lasagna. So instead of rising nicely, I ended up with:
I did manage to salvage enough of it to make the bread, which was quite tasty, and I will try this recipe again sometime.
And my third disaster I'm going to share is a case of misreading the recipe: butterscotch pumpkin muffins with too much pumpkin. I saw '1 can' as I was dashing through the recipe, and really it was only supposed to be 1 cup... They tasted okay, but didn't disappear like the recipe said they were going to and weren't light and fluffy at all. I can imagine they are really great, though, and plan to try this one again when fall rolls around in 2008.
Fortunately, I don't have too many problems when cooking!
Book recommendation: "Hi, Pizza Man!" by Virginia Walter
Recipe recommendation: Mexican Chicken Soup with Tortilla Strips
Restaurant recommendation: La Tasca Tapas
2 comments:
At least it's only been bread disasters and nothing else! For me it's usually the main course and NO ONE in the family will eat it! You can be thankful that's bread and only bread that likes to test your patience.
the biscuits ARE delicious!
Post a Comment