9.13.2010

cozy

I started to get excited when the main character was given a bowl of stew on page 15. Then I knew this was to be my next Novel Food entry when he was given goulash on page 42.

blogging event

The book of choice for this round is Flight of the Phoenix (Book One of Nathaniel Fludd Beastologist).

We meet Nathaniel just as he's been orphaned and is shipped off to his last known living relative: Phil A. Fludd. To his surprise, Phil turns out to be an aunt! She briefly explains the Fludd family history, which contains a lot of explorers and beastologists, and then tells Nathaniel to be ready to head out the next morning. They're off to watch the phoenix die and be reborn in Arabia!

Phil's old airplane needs refueling halfway through the trip, so they stop in Budapest, where Nathaniel is given a bowl of stew for supper.


serves 8 to 10

4 lbs. beef (brisket or chuck)
½ c oil
2 T butter
2 medium onions, chopped coarsely
1 red bell pepper, cubed
2 T mild paprika
½ t cayenne
4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
3 lbs. tomatoes (or 2 28 oz cans)
2 large carrots, ½ inch slices
fresh parsley
3½ q broth (preferably beef)
½ t red pepper flakes in cheesecloth
1 T salt
spaetzle
2 T flour
1 t paprika
½ c heavy or sour cream
Freshly ground black pepper


Trim the meat and remove the gristle. Tie the trimmings and gristle in a cheesecloth and reserve. Cut the meat into small cubes.

In a large nonstick skillet, heat ¼ c of oil with butter. Brown the meat in two batches, stirring occasionally, taking about 20 minutes total. Transfer the meat to a 9-qt. heavy-bottomed pot.

Add the remaining oil to skillet and brown the onions and red pepper, stirring for 1 minute. Add 1½ T paprika and the cayenne. Mix the spices thoroughly with the veggies and continue browning another 5 minutes. Add the garlic, stir for one more minute, then add to soup pot.

Add tomatoes, carrots and parsley. Pour broth over meat and vegetables; bury the cheesecloth packages in pot. Add salt. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce the heat, then simmer for 2 hours.

Meanwhile, prepare the spaetzle or cook noodles.


In a medium bowl, mix the flour ½ T paprika, a pinch of salt and the cream. Pour it into the soup and bring it back to a boil. Taste and correct seasoning.

To serve, put several spaetzle in each soup bowl and pour the goulash over them.


We made spaetzle, which was a pain, but the result was tasty. The soup itself is warm and comforting, and is great as a leftover meal. We kept the leftover spaetzle in a separate container in the fridge so it wouldn't get soggy in the soup--I would do the same if you make 'regular' noodles.

Yay for soup and stew weather again!

Book recommendation: Flight of the Phoenix by R. L. LaFevers
Recipe recommendation: Goulash Soup
Game recommendation: Forest Temple

4 comments:

Simona Carini said...

Phil sounds like an interesting aunt. And what a trip! I am trying to imagine how their adventure will develop. Your goulash sounds very comforting. Thank you so much for your contribution to our event.

adele said...

Beastologists? Sounds like quite a book. What age range is it written for?

I love goulash in cold weather, though I've yet to try making my own spaetzle. Something to try next winter, perhaps.

librariane said...

Mmm, I'd say it's probably 2nd-3rd grade. It's pretty small and digestible (pun intended-ha!) and would easily attract the attention of both boys and girls.

Be prepared when making spaetzle to have a mess on your hands! Literally! I didn't include the picture of my hubby pushing the dough through the grater holes...

Lisa said...

"Beastologist"?! I love it.

Thanks for joining us again for Novel Food! The book sounds great, and I adore goulash. How ambitious of you to also make spaetzle. Maybe I'll try that next time.