9.20.2010

gyotaku

Thought I'd catch you up on my favorite library craft of the summer, though I wanted to quickly share this one first:

For the Beach Bash we made crouton sand castles! There was much discussion at one of the tables on how to make this craft completely edible, which I thought was brilliant. I hadn't even thought about using PB or frosting as glue...

But my favorite (and I would do this again, if given the chance) was definitely the Japanese fish prints at the Under the Sea Party. The only downside was running around the day of the event to find a whole, unscaled fish that we could use.

I'm guessing if you are a fisherman, catching your own is the easiest, but you have to make sure the fish has distinct areas for the print--including eyes, fins, etc. We used a whitefish. We also used tempera paint and paper that was relatively thin--not rice paper. It worked just fine, except for the wrinkles. But I didn't think we were creating works of art to hang on the wall. I was going for the experience.

The girls were sufficiently grossed out and the boys were efficiently awed. Success in my book!

2 comments:

gianna said...

There are times when you are a girlie girl and then there are times like this: when you are anything but a girlie girl!

librariane said...

We were discussing getting served food whole while in AK (not sure how the topic came up) and I decided I would be okay with a whole fish served to me. Everything else--no way! :D