10.17.2011

alter

I stumbled upon (though not with StumbleUpon, sadly) a fun craft idea recently and decided to give each method a go to see which I liked better. The project? Colored mason jars.


The first uses paint to tint the jars and colors the outside.




The second uses food coloring and Mod Podge and colors the inside.




My thoughts: For the first one, it was nice to 'set it and forget it', though I had to make sure it was in a safe spot to rest for the day. I used a paint brush and it turned out a little streaky looking. I would like to try it with a sponge brush, as the originator does, though I don't think it will ever look as smooth as the second method.


On the second: when I opened the oven door to flip the jar over, the fumes about knocked me over. So give it a moment to air out before you dive in to put the jar 'right side up'. It took the full 30 minutes once flipped. This one gives faster results than the first, but that means you need a chunk of time to do all the steps. It also is a teeny bit more putzy.

Note: I would consider neither of these food safe, so just use them for decorations!

No comments: