12.09.2011

toothsome

For some reason, I've been thinking about whoopie pies lately. I did a quick search of the blogs I read and found a couple who did posts on them, and knew I wanted to do something along those same lines. So I did another search to settle on a recipe and settled on the Martha Stewart chocolate peanut butter pies.




I decided I wanted to try making the cookie part in my muffin top pans, just to see what would happen. They are, um, rather huge when done this way. Partly because I didn't know how much filling to add, and partly because they're just... big. I did a few free form, so as to make sure it's easy, and it is. Conclusion: you don't need a special pan--just some parchment paper and a cookie sheet.




1 3/4 c flour
3/4 c cocoa
1½ t baking soda
½ salt
4 T butter, softened
4 T shorting (such as Crisco)
½ c sugar
½ c dark brown sugar
1 egg
1 c whole milk
1 t vanilla


1. Preheat the oven to 375ยบ. Sift flour, cocoa, soda and salt together and set aside.
2. Cream butter, shortening and sugars until smooth (about 3 minutes). Add egg and beat until fluffy. Add half of flour mixture and mix until blended. Pour in milk and vanilla and mix. Add the rest of the flour and mix until blended.
3. Drop rounded spoonfuls of batter onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheets, spaced about 2 inches apart (the size of your spoonful will determine the size of your pies). Bake for about 10 minutes, then switch pans in the oven, rotating as you change racks. Bake another 2 to 4 minutes.
4. Once removed from oven, let cookies cool for 10 minutes on the pan, then transfer to a wire rack. Cool completely. If necessary, finish the rest of the batter.
5. While cooling, make the PB frosting. Once ready, spread a dollop on one cookie, top with another and set aside. Do this with all the cookies.




2/3 c peanut butter
8 T butter, softened (one stick)
3/4 c powdered sugar


1. Beat PB and butter together until smooth: about 3 minutes.
2. Add powdered sugar and beat another 3 minutes.




A couple more notes from me: I just baked them 8 minutes the first time, then after switching did about 3. A couple reviews warned of overbaking, so I was conscious of that possibility. Another review said to punch up the PB by adding a little more, but I think that would be overkill. Also, I used Jif, so I didn't add a pinch of salt, which is part of the original PB frosting recipe. These do taste best the same day they are baked/assembled.


These come together quickly and satisfy any cake cravings!


Book recommendation: Divergent by Veronica Roth
Recipe recommendation: PB Whoopie Pies
Movie recommendation: Hugo

1 comment:

Gail said...

Yum ,now I know why I'm so fat .