5.10.2012

overhaul

Have I mentioned I joined Pinterest?
Have I talked about how dangerous it is?

I think I must lean towards being a visual learner, because this whole thing appeals to me. Having a picture represent a link that I want to visit later is awesome. And so much easier than the usual bookmark list. And the sharing. Oh my, the sharing that goes on!

A friend pinned something recently that I vowed I would make. But I would try to make it harder. easybaked is dedicated to easy recipes, but I was a little leary of how many shortcuts there are in the Strawberry Lemonade cake. Now, I am not completely against shortcuts or using boxes and mixes (remember the baked Alaska?). I just don't want them to be my norm.

And this cake begged to be made 'real'.

I knew the Foodie Bride had an awesome strawberry cake recipe, as well as a yummy-sounding strawberry sauce. Then I grabbed my lemon cookbook and my giant cake book to peruse frosting and layering ideas. The final decision? The frosting would be a lemon cream (whipped cream + lemon curd), which would be light and lemony enough for this cake. Almost all the cakes I researched used lemon curd for the layers, so the middle was also decided, especially since I needed curd for the frosting. I didn't want the strawberry-ness of the cake to get overwhelmed, so a smear of that strawberry sauce would also be with the curd.

And now, since you've humored me and let me tell before show:




The only downside of doing everything 'real' is:


And that's only the cake batter mess...

ETA: Um, well, I have a little tweaking to do, as this is what I found this morning (5/11):


Maybe the layers are too heavy and squished all the filling out? Maybe the strawberry sauce was slippery? Hm.

3 comments:

Carissa said...

I know one thing, that I really want to make that fresh strawberry cake!

librariane said...

Ooo, if you do, can you try the cooked strawberry sauce method? I'd like to know how 'strawberry-y' it is!

Gianna Rae said...

Wow! It looked great until the last pic and then I thought, "EWWWW!" Oh, and I loved the baked alaska! Especially since we made it so well!