5.26.2012

potent

I don't normally blog about food on its own. Generally there is a book or holiday attached... but since the cleanse, I've been a little more aware of needing to add healthy side dishes or salads to our diets. I pulled out a stack of them from our paper files and wanted to share this one with you.


I also couldn't help but think of my parents and their love of Penzeys...


line up


The recipe is linked in the recommendation below, but I wanted to let you know a few changes and tips. 
  • Neither of us like olives, so I completely skipped them. It did mean a certain element (a salty/briny-ness) was missing, but it still tasted great! 
  • I happen to not like dates, so I substituted dried cherries, which made for a very nice sweetness. I debated adding blueberries, but didn't want too many flavors going on. Oh, and I didn't have almonds on hand, so I used sunflower seeds.
  • They say serve warm or room temp, but it also is delish cold!
  • And finally, if you don't like hotness, just use sweet paprika. The sharp/hot paprika has a bit of a kick, though it doesn't last long.




Note: this recipe isn't 'clean'.


Book recommendation: Cloudette by Tom Lichtenheld
Recipe recommendation: Couscous Salad with Dried Fruits
Music recommendation: Crooked Still

No comments: