Well, we did it again. (I know, I know--I'm actually surprised myself)
Carissa the librarian decided to do a one week stint and put out the call for anyone to join her. We decided to play along for three days (especially since she provided several recipes ahead of time--very helpful!). We started Tuesday, as Monday is Chip's Rotary meeting day (which includes lunch) and went through Thursday.
One of the lunches was an adaptation of a salad made by the Pioneer Woman. I decided I'd like to share that with you, not only for clean reasons, but to give you an idea of paring it down to be a salad for two.
½ bunch of sweet potato noodles, cooked
1 c Napa cabbage, chopped
½ c purple cabbage, chopped
½ c baby spinach
¼ c bean sprouts
2 T cilantro, chopped
1 T scallion, sliced
¼ c cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
cashew pieces, toasted
Lime juice from 1 lime
¼ c olive oil
splash of sesame oil (optional, though if you have it, use it!)
1 t minced ginger
1 clove garlic, minced
1 T brown rice syrup
Toss all the salad ingredients together in a large bowl. Whisk together dressing and then pour over salad. Enjoy!
And because I know you're curious, here's the rest of our menu:
Tuesday
- raspberry peach smoothie
- Asian noodle salad and fruit salad
- peach gazpacho
Wednesday
- black & blue smoothie (with pineapple)
- curried chicken, asparagus and brown rice
- avocado soup
Thursday
Why did we do this again? To make sure we got a bunch of healthy food back into our rotation. It is easier to eat fresh fruits and veggies in the summer, but we still tend to fall into 'bad' habits. And we thought it might be good to eliminate a few things temporarily (e.g. coffee...). This made us really appreciate the things we couldn't have. Thursday night we were dreaming of bread and custard as we got ready for bed.
5 comments:
Hooray! You got through three days this time! What did you think of the soups? Any of them worth recommending? And thanks for the adjusted salad portions. That thing is HUGE but I've always been too lazy to cut it down. What's your mailing address? I've got a wee reward to send!
Thanks! We really liked the double green soup--ate that one hot. The peach soup was also tasty--that one is all about the peaches you pick out, methinks. We weren't too fond of the avocado one--felt like we needed chips... ;)
I've never had sweet potato noodles.... how are they?
Going to try that double green soup.
The noodles are good--the flavor is not strong, so they are similar to a rice noodle (rather than a buckwheat or whole wheat). I think I like them best with a strong sauce/dressing, though.
Post a Comment