7.22.2012

mishmash

July is National Ice Cream month.


So I was scrolling through the I Scream list the other day, reminding myself of all the different ice creams (and other frozen confections) I really want to make, when about halfway through the list, I saw the carrot cake ice cream sandwiches. I clicked on the link to get the recipe again and... it doesn't exist anymore.


I saw this as a call to recreate it.


First up, the carrot cake cookies. I sifted through a few recipes until I settled on this one, though I left out the nuts and bumped up the amount of oats to accommodate. I liked the idea of the spices she included and also thought these would be a little sturdier (for holding ice cream, rather than frosting). I also didn't roll them in sugar before baking.




Next, the maple ice cream for the middle! I liked the tip from this recipe, that grade B will be more noticeable, but I didn't want to make custard. These puppies were already going to be rich, and I really wanted the maple flavor to shine (which it does). Take note: you will have a mild heart attack at the price of this syrup, but it is worth it (seriously). Save it for special recipes like this.




Finally, assembly! I actually did this the next day--I figured day-old cookies would hold up better and the ice cream needed time to mellow and deepen its flavors.




I must say these are pretty amazing. The cookies by themselves taste 'healthy', and the ice cream is on the sweet side, so putting them together makes everything just right.


Small size in order to share with many!


Book recommendation: The Year of the Beasts by Cecil Castellucci and Nate Powell
Recipe recommendation: Carrot Cake Sandwiches with Maple Ice Cream
YouTube recommendation: Disco the Parakeet

4 comments:

abcgirl said...

Yum! Those look amazing!

Carissa said...

Ha! Just watched a bunch of Disco videos!! I can't even believe how much he can say.

Carissa said...

Ha! This is my favorite: Disco sleep mumbling
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Khi2e7VBqPU&feature=related

librariane said...

Earl can now say 'Disco'... that's how often I watch the Disco videos!

And that flavor combo was perfect. I took them to a worship team party and everyone said they were the favorite dessert.