10.09.2012

pomarious

There has been an appalling lack of food posts on this blog lately... so I'm going to remedy that today!

We've visited two apple orchards in the past couple of weeks and it's rather disheartening. The one said their production is down 80% and the other didn't say, but it was similar. Another is down 90% (I'm hoping to pop over there soon to check it out in person). This weather has been horrible for farmers and crop growers of any kind this year.




So anything apple this year will be a treat.


This recipe came about because I had pizza crust dough languishing in the fridge and knew it needed to be used soon. I also didn't want to use up our entire bag of apples on a pie or crisp. I did a bunch of searching and created this version of apple pizza!




2 lbs apples, peeled and sliced

4 T butter
1-2 t minced ginger
8 oz cream cheese, softened
4 T br sugar
2 t cinnamon
pizza dough

Sauté apples in the butter until lightly browned (about 5 minutes). Add ginger (amt is flexible for your tastes) and turn off heat.


Beat cream cheese with sugar and cinnamon.


Preheat the oven to 500º F. Roll out dough and spread cream cheese mixture across surface. Top with apples and bake for 5-7 minutes.




My notes: depending on your dough (I used the linked recipe), the baking time and oven temp may be different. If your pizza will in the oven longer, cut your apples a little thicker so they don't melt into nothingness as it bakes. And note the cream cheese 'sauce' will taste differently depending on how long it bakes--it'll be a little more cheesecakey.




Chip did make a crisp with the rest of the apples... it was fantastic.

Book recommendation: Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
Recipe recommendation: Apple Pizza
Parody recommendation: Youth Group Mascot

3 comments:

Gretchen said...

Yum. There is a pizza place here that makes an apple dessert pizza. It's quite good. Yours looks even better.

librariane said...

Let me know if you try it! I'm curious how it turns out using a different kind of pizza crust.

Gianna Rae said...

oh, my word. My mouth is so watering!