As I was getting ready for my teen literature course (I taught it the first time online in February 2012, the second time in March of 2013), I had to read a slew of books to narrow down the assigned reading list. One that I settled on for the fantasy/sci-fi list was The Emerald Atlas.
This is a fantastical adventure that stars three siblings who lost their parents when they were very young. They don't believe they are dead, though, and start to get proof that life isn't what it seems when shipped off to an orphanage in Cambridge Falls. There the children discover a magical secret passage. Along the way, they also discover a mysterious book that transports them through time. Unfortunately, the book can't exist simultaneously in two time periods and it disappears while the children are in the past. Now they must find the 'original' copy of the book to get back home.
At one point, the two older children are thrown in jail by some dwarves and find they are imprisoned with the wizard Dr. Pym. He tells them he'll tell them everything they need to know in time, but first to wait for dinner. This is no ordinary dinner, however:
"Dwarves," Dr. Pym said, "are strong proponents of breakfast for dinner, and I must say I have grown to like the custom" (206).There are eggs, pies, pancakes, ham and, most importantly, for this entry especially, doughnuts.
[Dr. Pym had] begun sorting through a pile of cinnamon twits, seraching for the longest and sugariest. "Ah, here we are." He pulled free one doughy, golden spiral and held it up for admiration (207).
I know I've done doughnuts in the past, but felt the need to accomplish the yeast variety, too. Plus, I needed to celebrate Donut Day. And my family has a tradition of breakfast for dinner. Perhaps we're secretly dwarves!
Use the recipe in the link at the bottom of the post.
My notes: use the dough hook. She doesn't specify this, but I should have known better. I refrigerated overnight and the batter didn't double, per say, but everything worked out just fine. Do not reroll the dough! I missed this and some of the doughnuts were a little tougher than others. Not a deal killer, but just make more doughnut holes with the 'extra'. I haven't any notes about the glaze, as I did sugared doughnuts. BUT, I really want to try these with chocolate. And a powdered sugar glaze. And sprinkles.
That hint of cinnamon in the dough is amazing!
Book recommendation: The Emerald Atlas by John Stephens
Recipe recommendation: Yeast Doughnuts
Youtube recommendation: Dunkin Donuts
6 comments:
This book sounds great! :)
And you know what's even better? Listening to it: it's read by Jim Dale!
Your book pick sounds like a lot of fun! And I totally approve of breakfast for dinner. And vice versa.
Yeast doughnuts are on my to-do list too. Yours look very nice and I agree with your choice of topping. And the book sounds quite intriguing. I like that there is a magic book in it. I feel that we need stories that remind us how magical book are. Thank you so much for contributing to Novel Food!
Breakfast for dinner at the behest of a wizard is a treat that should not be missed! How enticing your donuts look all stacked up. I would grab one of them myself, if I could.
Breakfast for dinner--especially with donuts, works for me! ;-) What a fun pick--both the book and the donuts it inspired.
Post a Comment