10.31.2013

polychromatic

This post is long overdue. October has been a crazy month, though, so it's understandable why I haven't gotten the pictures downloaded!

ANYway, one of my favorite people had a birthday party recently, and like last year, she requested fancy dresses and princesses. The theme was a bit more specific, though: Cinderella. Her mom asked if I would make the cake and I leapt at the opportunity! So I asked M what she would like and she said ideally, she would like Cinderella on the cake, but would be fine with a rainbow. And it had to be a chocolate cake.


The wheels started turning and I knew how I wanted to do part of the frosting--it's a technique* I pinned on Pinterest a long time ago, but haven't had the chance to try it. So I did a test run earlier in the week**.


It went well, but I realized it was going to take a lot of frosting, so I started thinking about other ways to do the rainbow part. Then I ran into a time crunch and realized I'd best just use the one technique and focus on getting this thing made! I baked the cake Thursday and threw the layers in the freezer, then made all the frosting*** on Saturday morning.





I used tip #1A by Wilton and, as you can see, got three rows down the side of the cake. What you can't see is I used the back of a spoon to smoosh the dot of frosting to get the petal shape. Just keep going around and around and around and... anyone else now have the Grover song in their head? Sorry.

When you get back to the beginning (the 'back' of the cake), you'll just smoosh gently to complete the circle.



I decided to make the top smooth and then do the rainbow in the petal style.




This was the killer part--not in terms of being tough, but making all the colors! I knew I couldn't go all the way across once I started making a row (I was going to run out of frosting!), so I just went halfway and then employed one of the other techniques I had contemplated before settling on the petals: marshmallows cut in half and dipped in sugar so they sparkle!







Mini confession: I'm annoyed with my arc. Next time I'd use a smaller tip so the petals are smaller, thus giving me a bit more control.

I also had some leftover blue sprinkles to break up the whiteness. And that cake board is just a stray piece of wood I snitched from Chip's workshop and covered with foil. It was perfect!
Then it was off to the party!









It was a hit! Everyone wanted a part with rainbow on it, so cutting was a little tricky, but we did our best to accommodate.


*The most helpful post to get this look is at My Cake School.
**Why, yes! I put sneak peeks on Instagram!
***Here's a buttercream recipe suggestion. I doubled it to have enough.

No comments: