10.10.2013

ramble

Despite the horrible weather predictions last weekend, Chip and I dashed over to New Glarus for a weekend of camping.

It poured on the drive over, making me second guess why on earth do people camp? Especially with tents?!? The skies cleared once we got west, though the campsite was quite muddy... but we set up anyway, including our tarp, so we'd have a place to sit if it were to sprinkle on us again.



Fortunately, it didn't rain much more Friday, so we escaped the horrible thunderstorm predictions I read about on Wednesday. Dinner was at the Glarner Stube (a place we hadn't been since our first jaunt over to New Glarus (2004 maybe?)) and it was tasty.



Saturday's weather looked iffy, but we decided the rain and storms were going to hit us in the afternoon, so we headed out for a hike. We've been over to this area a few times, but hadn't hiked yet--the last two times we had the kayaks along. It's a nifty set of paths!



The gal in the ranger station said the puffballs were in abundance and we should keep our eyes peeled. We found a few.






Then it was down to Monroe to check out the brewery there (didn't take the tour--we'll have to do that next time) while it rained.



Sunday morning we headed into town for coffee and then hit the Badger State Trail to walk a bit (especially through the tunnel):



Other than the rain, it was a relaxing weekend, and we both enjoyed our time outdoors!

2 comments:

Simona Carini said...

I love the puffball! I have never seen one. It looks like a nice place (minus the rain).
The first my husband and I went camping on the Sierra, the wind howled all night. I was fairly scared as we were by ourselves and several hours away from the world. It froze during the night too. But when I peeked outside the tent at 3 am and looked at the sky, I knew why we were there.

librariane said...

If you ever have a chance to eat a puffball, you really should try it!

I had a great camping moment in August during my church's annual canoe trip--I woke at 1 am and had to go to the bathroom. The stars were brilliant and went on forever!